Seeking a diagnosis in middle age

Hello everyone!

I have just joined this community after completing yet another online self-test for autism.

So far, every online test that I have taken has suggested that I am probably on the spectrum and should consult with a professional about that possibility.

But its only now that I actually feel motivated to do that.

November 30th 2020, will mark four years of unemployment for me.

That's the longest I have been out of work in my entire adult life. I am 47 years old now.

Although there are neurodivergent people who are conventionally very successful in various jobs or business enterprises, I understand that the unemployment rate for people on the spectrum is much higher than that for the general population.

I am hoping that a diagnosis may ultimately lead to a strategy which would get me back into gainful employment.

But not into another call centre!

Been there, done that, don't see myself doing it again.

Although I have developed strong technical interests in my free time over the last couple of years, any job in tech would present precisely the kind of problems which I feel ill equipped to manage.

Working as part of a team, reading social cues, taking and giving feedback in a tactful way, etc.

In my youth, I feel that I was good at "masking" my oddness. But now, in my late forties, I feel that life is too short to pretend to be someone that I am not. 

Parents
  • Hi, the waiting list for a diagnosis is long. Mine took about 2 years. Its worth knowing though to try understand yourself better. Good luck with the future employment goal.

• Thank you!

Yes, the NHS is a bit swamped at the moment.

Figuring out how to broach the issue with employers is something I am taking seriously now. Simply masking as I have done in the past, will not work long term.

• I am going to be honest with you.

This question come up quite often, the fact that most of us are forced to apply for entry level positions/Zero Hours that accept us because they are desperate for employees, If you make any request for reasonable adjustments because of your autism you are usually managed out. Employers often give you less and less hours each week until they put you in a compromising position of not earning enough to survive which stresses you out and excavates you negative behaviours relating to your autism until they fire you. 

Most of us have had interview over the years where if you mention that you have autism they immediately through your resume in the bin when leaving the interview, It's not subtle. 

You will also have interviews to humor you because you mentioned you have autism, the employer will do false interview with you to keep the equal opportunity statis. Typical employers open to disabilities will only hire one member of staff with a disability to make them look good.

You age is also going to impair your job hunting, You have been unemployed the last four years and your over the age of 45 with no up to date qualification and relevant experience. most employers will view you as an expensive under 25 year old and will hire them because their health will be better, and their minimum wage is a lot less. 

• I am going to be honest with you.

This question come up quite often, the fact that most of us are forced to apply for entry level positions/Zero Hours that accept us because they are desperate for employees, If you make any request for reasonable adjustments because of your autism you are usually managed out. Employers often give you less and less hours each week until they put you in a compromising position of not earning enough to survive which stresses you out and excavates you negative behaviours relating to your autism until they fire you. 

Most of us have had interview over the years where if you mention that you have autism they immediately through your resume in the bin when leaving the interview, It's not subtle. 

You will also have interviews to humor you because you mentioned you have autism, the employer will do false interview with you to keep the equal opportunity statis. Typical employers open to disabilities will only hire one member of staff with a disability to make them look good.

You age is also going to impair your job hunting, You have been unemployed the last four years and your over the age of 45 with no up to date qualification and relevant experience. most employers will view you as an expensive under 25 year old and will hire them because their health will be better, and their minimum wage is a lot less. 

Children
  • Blue,

For call centres, I definitely think that is the case.

Employees are completely disposable and there is a constant churn of staff.

As I say, I never "stuck my neck out" on any issue at work before because they will fire people on all sorts of pretexts.

So yes, low skills jobs are a complete no-no.

That's why I no longer apply for them :)