Hello I'm Emmy

Thought I would introduce myself, I am Emmy, I have just turned 29, I was diagnosed with autism today and thought I would see how this community is. I do not have a friend group and was interested in maybe making a few new friends.

Umm I like quite a lot of things cats, collecting oddities, DnD, anime, gaming, arts and crafts, viking history, weird music, and nature to name a few. Ooo and I just got into 3D modelling. I am an INFJ / INTJ, Libra, non binary (she/her/they/them pronouns) I'm a bit of a shut in and an agoraphobe but I thought I would give this a go. 

Feel free to message me. I cant guarantee a quick response, please don't be offended.  

Parents
  • Hi Emmy,

welcome to this forum you should be able make some friends here. Just join in any of the discussions eg Autistic Adults or whatever

Heart

INFJ = introverted, intuitive, feeling, and judging

INTJ = Introverted, Intuitive, Thinking, and Judging personality traits.

• how to you feel with your new diagnosis ? what did your parents say ?

• I'm not really interested in what my dad has to offer tbh. He just generally is not a nice person and a lot of my issues I suffer with today are because of him so I dont think his "support" will be welcome (he really isnt the supportive type in general) 

Yes my daughter is the same, a very happy aspie. In her own little world and very comfortable with herself and her interests. Hard working on things that she is interested in and just generally pleasant to be around. I was very much the same when I was a kid but unfortunately lots of trauma came my way and moulded my mental health to what it is today, a mess haha. 

I do not have a partner and all previous partners where all pretty awful towards me especially during meltdowns / shutdowns/ burn outs etc. So I found it best to be on my own. 

Oh of course I have downsides haha I am a shut in, agoraphobe who has a lot of struggle functioning regular day time tasks and generally looking after myself. I have yet to find someone who handles that appropriately and without causing more trauma haha. Until I do I will probably remain single. 

I will look into them, thank you ^_^ 

• wow no wonder you reading autism books Slight smile.  As for your dad, well i dont know him, but if he is autistic i wish him all the best, because it can really limit your life/relationships etc which u know already.  I hope he does become closer to you because of your diagnosis, because  you could probably do with some extra support going forward. 

BTW i suspect my daughter is autistic as well. i mentioned this to her just after my diagnosis. She's not bothered she is what is called " a happy aspie".  She is such a hard worker.

So how did you meet your husband/partner and how to they cope with your downsides eg meltdown shutdowns antisocial behaviour   u do have downsides right ?  maybe u r like my nephew who is always happy, well 95% of time. 

oh look out for, DC,  in this forumn. Shes make me laugh.

see you later

Heart

• I'll look into that, thank you ^_^

My dad is heavily suspected to being on the spectrum but no formal diagnosis. So chances are that's where it came from haha. I don't talk to him now though as he was a bit of a butthead. I think its hilarious that he always said he bonded more with my brother because he has autism and is more like him etc. I wonder what his excuse will be now that I have a diagnosis haha.

I have a daughter and we are currently going through the early stages of the assessment process with her as during my assessment all the questions about what I was like as a baby was eerily similar to what she was like as a baby and, well, we are almost exact copies of each other haha. It'll be nice for her to have a diagnosis this early on so that she gets the help and support she needs without having to suffer.

• my best book ever ,,, Is 'Meditations' by marcus aurelis   i read a paragraph everday i just find his stuff remarkable. I got it free on one of my charity shop hunts. 

if u have autism and your brother has autism then this points to dad and mum. My mum is autistic but doesnt know she is. She didnt know i was autistic so i was never labelled and I did everything without a thought. I think that was the best thing ever in a way. I have an autistic nephew as well who i really enjoy working with ( his models etc ).

Heart

• NO PROBLEM! I edited it in last minute as I forgot to answer that part of the question originally haha

• My mum was present during the assessment, We have autism in the family, so it wasn't too much of a big deal. It was just mostly in the men of my family and they were so desensitized to autistic behaviour, my behaviour was never really picked up and no one really put the puzzle pieces together haha. But yeah, family are all fine and supportive now that theres a diagnosis. 

I like knowing things too so no judgment if you ask a lot of questions! I have a tendency to overshare, haha, so just stop me if my replies are too lengthy ^_^ 

Thank you for the recs! I have the book Aspergers and girls by Tony Attwood and Temple Grandin and it was a really good read! I have that book and Aspergirls - Rudy Simone, Pretending to be normal - Liane Holliday Willey and Camouflage - Dr Sarah Bargiela all very good reads and am happy to go through more if you have more recommendations  

• sorry i didnt read the last sentence i am so silly Slight smile

Heart

• yea they have a great reputation. What did your parents think ?,,,, maybe you havent told them yet .   I ask lots of questions and have no bounderies so just say "I dont want to say" at any time. 

Its great you're so postive - I recommend you read up on Temple Grandin shes the queen of autism...... also look up "purple ella" either twitter or youtube

Heart

• I feel really positive actually ^_^ at first there was that feeling of anger as to how late the diagnosis is and how so much trauma could of been avoided had I had the proper help and understanding in my childhood etc. But I tried to shake that off as fast as I could and just look at the bright side. I'm excited to do research and find more out about myself and the way my brain works etc. VERY happy to drop masked behaviour and to feel more comfortable being myself around people and yeah, everything went really smoothly and was I really impressed with how safe I felt talking about stuff during the assessment. The Lorna Wing centre did a top notch job of making me feel safe and understood. My brother has autism so its relatively accepted in my family. So very supportive. 

• I feel really positive actually ^_^ at first there was that feeling of anger as to how late the diagnosis is and how so much trauma could of been avoided had I had the proper help and understanding in my childhood etc. But I tried to shake that off as fast as I could and just look at the bright side. I'm excited to do research and find more out about myself and the way my brain works etc. VERY happy to drop masked behaviour and to feel more comfortable being myself around people and yeah, everything went really smoothly and was I really impressed with how safe I felt talking about stuff during the assessment. The Lorna Wing centre did a top notch job of making me feel safe and understood. My brother has autism so its relatively accepted in my family. So very supportive. 

Children
  • I'm not really interested in what my dad has to offer tbh. He just generally is not a nice person and a lot of my issues I suffer with today are because of him so I dont think his "support" will be welcome (he really isnt the supportive type in general) 

Yes my daughter is the same, a very happy aspie. In her own little world and very comfortable with herself and her interests. Hard working on things that she is interested in and just generally pleasant to be around. I was very much the same when I was a kid but unfortunately lots of trauma came my way and moulded my mental health to what it is today, a mess haha. 

I do not have a partner and all previous partners where all pretty awful towards me especially during meltdowns / shutdowns/ burn outs etc. So I found it best to be on my own. 

Oh of course I have downsides haha I am a shut in, agoraphobe who has a lot of struggle functioning regular day time tasks and generally looking after myself. I have yet to find someone who handles that appropriately and without causing more trauma haha. Until I do I will probably remain single. 

I will look into them, thank you ^_^ 

• wow no wonder you reading autism books Slight smile.  As for your dad, well i dont know him, but if he is autistic i wish him all the best, because it can really limit your life/relationships etc which u know already.  I hope he does become closer to you because of your diagnosis, because  you could probably do with some extra support going forward. 

BTW i suspect my daughter is autistic as well. i mentioned this to her just after my diagnosis. She's not bothered she is what is called " a happy aspie".  She is such a hard worker.

So how did you meet your husband/partner and how to they cope with your downsides eg meltdown shutdowns antisocial behaviour   u do have downsides right ?  maybe u r like my nephew who is always happy, well 95% of time. 

oh look out for, DC,  in this forumn. Shes make me laugh.

see you later

Heart

• I'll look into that, thank you ^_^

My dad is heavily suspected to being on the spectrum but no formal diagnosis. So chances are that's where it came from haha. I don't talk to him now though as he was a bit of a butthead. I think its hilarious that he always said he bonded more with my brother because he has autism and is more like him etc. I wonder what his excuse will be now that I have a diagnosis haha.

I have a daughter and we are currently going through the early stages of the assessment process with her as during my assessment all the questions about what I was like as a baby was eerily similar to what she was like as a baby and, well, we are almost exact copies of each other haha. It'll be nice for her to have a diagnosis this early on so that she gets the help and support she needs without having to suffer.

• my best book ever ,,, Is 'Meditations' by marcus aurelis   i read a paragraph everday i just find his stuff remarkable. I got it free on one of my charity shop hunts. 

if u have autism and your brother has autism then this points to dad and mum. My mum is autistic but doesnt know she is. She didnt know i was autistic so i was never labelled and I did everything without a thought. I think that was the best thing ever in a way. I have an autistic nephew as well who i really enjoy working with ( his models etc ).

Heart

• NO PROBLEM! I edited it in last minute as I forgot to answer that part of the question originally haha

• My mum was present during the assessment, We have autism in the family, so it wasn't too much of a big deal. It was just mostly in the men of my family and they were so desensitized to autistic behaviour, my behaviour was never really picked up and no one really put the puzzle pieces together haha. But yeah, family are all fine and supportive now that theres a diagnosis. 

I like knowing things too so no judgment if you ask a lot of questions! I have a tendency to overshare, haha, so just stop me if my replies are too lengthy ^_^ 

Thank you for the recs! I have the book Aspergers and girls by Tony Attwood and Temple Grandin and it was a really good read! I have that book and Aspergirls - Rudy Simone, Pretending to be normal - Liane Holliday Willey and Camouflage - Dr Sarah Bargiela all very good reads and am happy to go through more if you have more recommendations  

• sorry i didnt read the last sentence i am so silly Slight smile

Heart

• yea they have a great reputation. What did your parents think ?,,,, maybe you havent told them yet .   I ask lots of questions and have no bounderies so just say "I dont want to say" at any time. 

Its great you're so postive - I recommend you read up on Temple Grandin shes the queen of autism...... also look up "purple ella" either twitter or youtube

Heart