Advise about college

Hello there Slight smile

I'm not a frequent user so I'm kinda nervous post. 

Basically I would like to ask for a bit of advise. I'll give brief background information so you have a slightly bigger picture of what's going on. So basically I've grown up in foster care since I was 11 so for about the last 7 years now the local authority has been responsible for my care. I'm now 18 so they've taken a step back with their support. I have a diagnosis of visual Impairment, aspergers and dyspraxia. Visual impairment and aspergers were diagnosed in my young childhood and dyspraxia I was diagnosed last year. 

So I've recently left sixth form with 2 a levels. I originally did 4 but I had to drop 2 of them as I was unable to cope with them all. Social services and school has never looked into an EHCP. During my a levels, I requested for an EHCP as i was struggling massively and it had such a negative impact on my mental health but the sixth form dismissed it as they were like 'well you're planning on going to university next year' and 'by the time you get your EHCP, you would have finished your course'. Now, due to dropping 2 a levels, I dont have enough UCAS points to go to university. I've recently enrolled into college (further education) so I can try to raise my UCAS points a little. Today I've found out because I'm doing a level 3 course, I wont be receiving extra support which is something I need. Apparently, only students with an EHCP recieve additional support. When I talked to the colleges about my disabilities, they were shocked that I didnt have an EHCP. I definitely need additional support as theres no way I'd be able to cope with my course at college this year without any form of support. The problem is, if I apply for an EHCP myself, my course would've nearly finished by the time I recieve it (if there are no delays or issues in the process). 

Has anyone been in a similar situation or would be able to give advise. I'd be grateful to hear from you :) 

Parents
  • I'm so sorry you've fallen through so many nets.  I would have suggested going through student support at your college, but it sounds like you've tried that route with nothing coming to fruition for you.  That happens due to lack of resources these days.  I know.  I worked in one and they limited the 'help' to those with a plan because of funding - it's not right!  The fact that you already have diagnoses of your ASD, dyspraxia and visual difficulties should mean that they are legally required to make "reasonable adjustments" for you regardless of an EHCP plan.  You are technically a disabled student.

Do you still have a social worker, is there a Through Care Team or something available to you to help push for you?  I hate to see a young person doing so much to try and better their own lives not to get that bit support they need to play on a level playing field.  

I hope you do make it to university.  When you do, I'd check out the support services they have and what they can offer.  Some institutions are very good.  I even know people who were unaware they were autistic until their university tutors picked up on it and referred them to their in house teams for diagnosis - and then the support kicked in.  

Good luck and keep fighting.

• I'm so sorry you've fallen through so many nets.  I would have suggested going through student support at your college, but it sounds like you've tried that route with nothing coming to fruition for you.  That happens due to lack of resources these days.  I know.  I worked in one and they limited the 'help' to those with a plan because of funding - it's not right!  The fact that you already have diagnoses of your ASD, dyspraxia and visual difficulties should mean that they are legally required to make "reasonable adjustments" for you regardless of an EHCP plan.  You are technically a disabled student.

Do you still have a social worker, is there a Through Care Team or something available to you to help push for you?  I hate to see a young person doing so much to try and better their own lives not to get that bit support they need to play on a level playing field.  

I hope you do make it to university.  When you do, I'd check out the support services they have and what they can offer.  Some institutions are very good.  I even know people who were unaware they were autistic until their university tutors picked up on it and referred them to their in house teams for diagnosis - and then the support kicked in.  

Good luck and keep fighting.

Children
  • I am so sorry that you had to go through so much. And I agree, you need additional support to cope with your courses at college. My little sister had to go through a lot because of her disabilities. It broke my heart. Back then, I swore I would become a person that would take care of people who needed medical help. That's how I started medical school. I am still aiming to achieve my goal. But the worst part is that my hometown has a badly developed economy—the location of work and the population influence the salary. I can't make a living working in my country, so I plan to move away with my family.