Advise about college

Hello there Slight smile

I'm not a frequent user so I'm kinda nervous post. 

Basically I would like to ask for a bit of advise. I'll give brief background information so you have a slightly bigger picture of what's going on. So basically I've grown up in foster care since I was 11 so for about the last 7 years now the local authority has been responsible for my care. I'm now 18 so they've taken a step back with their support. I have a diagnosis of visual Impairment, aspergers and dyspraxia. Visual impairment and aspergers were diagnosed in my young childhood and dyspraxia I was diagnosed last year. 

So I've recently left sixth form with 2 a levels. I originally did 4 but I had to drop 2 of them as I was unable to cope with them all. Social services and school has never looked into an EHCP. During my a levels, I requested for an EHCP as i was struggling massively and it had such a negative impact on my mental health but the sixth form dismissed it as they were like 'well you're planning on going to university next year' and 'by the time you get your EHCP, you would have finished your course'. Now, due to dropping 2 a levels, I dont have enough UCAS points to go to university. I've recently enrolled into college (further education) so I can try to raise my UCAS points a little. Today I've found out because I'm doing a level 3 course, I wont be receiving extra support which is something I need. Apparently, only students with an EHCP recieve additional support. When I talked to the colleges about my disabilities, they were shocked that I didnt have an EHCP. I definitely need additional support as theres no way I'd be able to cope with my course at college this year without any form of support. The problem is, if I apply for an EHCP myself, my course would've nearly finished by the time I recieve it (if there are no delays or issues in the process). 

Has anyone been in a similar situation or would be able to give advise. I'd be grateful to hear from you :) 

Parents
  • sorry I havent a clue but when looking up what EHCP was I found this number you can try ringing while waiting for some more responses here.

also try the NAS helpline as well.

The Autism Helpline enquiry service provides impartial, confidential information along with advice for autistic people, their families, friends and carers.

Contact us by:

Telephone: 0808 800 4104

Due to the impact of the COVID-19 virus, our Helpline telephone opening hours have been amended to:

10am – 3pm, Monday to Friday.

they also has a "form" if u r not so good on the phone

www.autism.org.uk/.../online-enquiry-form

don't be nervous Slight smile you are most welcome here 

Heart 

• sorry I havent a clue but when looking up what EHCP was I found this number you can try ringing while waiting for some more responses here.

also try the NAS helpline as well.

The Autism Helpline enquiry service provides impartial, confidential information along with advice for autistic people, their families, friends and carers.

Contact us by:

Telephone: 0808 800 4104

Due to the impact of the COVID-19 virus, our Helpline telephone opening hours have been amended to:

10am – 3pm, Monday to Friday.

they also has a "form" if u r not so good on the phone

www.autism.org.uk/.../online-enquiry-form

don't be nervous Slight smile you are most welcome here 

Heart 

Children
No Data