Depression / anxiety after recent Aspergers diagnosis

I was diagnosed with ASD about 18 months ago at the age of 49! Recently I have started having panic attacks which appear to be getting worse and now I’m starting to feel quite down. Does anyone have any experience with antidepressants as this is something that my GP has said might be an option. Also are there any counselling organisations specifically for autistic adults? I live in Sheffield. I’d welcome your ideas and suggestions 

Parents
  • Anti depressants never did me any good.  And also I can never remember to take tablets or whether I have already taken them.

If you can, try to analyse what gives.you the panic attack.  And once you have found this out try to imagine what you can do to prevent it.  

I always find a break from what I am doing, a bit of fresh air, a walk or even just a cup of tea works wonders.  People might think you should snap out of it it this is something that doesn't happen with me.  But fresh air in my lungs and wind in my hair is certainly far better for me than any number of anti depressants.  

What causes it for me is that somehow I have lost control of what I am doing or someone is trying to take control from me.  I am never one to accept directions as to what I should do from others, I need to do things the way I feel I can do them best myself. 

You might find a local autism support group or charity near to Sheffield.  If not there are a number of organisations on the internet who may be able to help you.

• Anti depressants never did me any good.  And also I can never remember to take tablets or whether I have already taken them.

If you can, try to analyse what gives.you the panic attack.  And once you have found this out try to imagine what you can do to prevent it.  

I always find a break from what I am doing, a bit of fresh air, a walk or even just a cup of tea works wonders.  People might think you should snap out of it it this is something that doesn't happen with me.  But fresh air in my lungs and wind in my hair is certainly far better for me than any number of anti depressants.  

What causes it for me is that somehow I have lost control of what I am doing or someone is trying to take control from me.  I am never one to accept directions as to what I should do from others, I need to do things the way I feel I can do them best myself. 

You might find a local autism support group or charity near to Sheffield.  If not there are a number of organisations on the internet who may be able to help you.

Children
  • Thanks for your response. I definitely find being outdoors helps. I know what you mean about the sense of loss of control. I think that may be a big factor for me. I was going to a monthly Aspergers support group but that hasn’t happened since COVID and I don’t find virtual meetings easy to deal with. 

• 49 also ,I tried antidepressants on the recommendation of my doctor but that was before my diagnosis, Now  i am no longer taking them ,

I had panic attacks all my life and didnt know thats what they were until my psychologist explained that these could be meltdowns ,

I have a service where i live called steps to wellbeing S2W

, have you tried  :-  " iaptsheffield.shsc.nhs.uk/improving-wellbeing-sessions/    " obviosuly i missed out www,,,, as i found cbt very helpful , At first i was very suspicious as i thought they were trying to discredit my diagnosis ???  but now realise the meditation and grounding tools so helpful in stopping the anxiety which lead onto the meltdowns. 

sorry to the mods if link is not allowed , it is a link to the sheffield nhs wellbeing service