Introducing Myself

Good morning. I am Adélaïde.

I was recently diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome last year after my great-granddaughter who is very much like I was at her age was also diagnosed. I do not have any problems with the diagnosis though I am still affected by loud sounds and communicating with others can be tasking. I wanted to pop in and say hello.

Yours sincerely,

Adélaïde.

Parents
  • Hello Adelaide, thank you for writing such a moving profile. There are so many parallels with my mother's life. She was born in 1929, I now believe that she had Asperger's, but no one knew at the time. Her father also worked in a bank all his life until he retired and was very good with numbers, he also had some said behaviours to do with tidiness and order, I suspect that the condition was passed down his line. He met my grandmother at the bank where she worked and they went on to marry. Both grandparents were overprotective of my mother, she was a constant worry to them, as she had so many classic signs of Asperger's. My mother married and had four children. She was detached from all of us and couldn't show affection. As a child I didn't know why she was different from other mothers, but I knew from an early age that she was. Now at 53 years of age, I am aware that I too have signs of Asperger's and I am waiting for an assessment, that my dear mother didn't have. She died many years ago before any understanding of the condition. It saddens me to know of the missed opportunities for me, my mother, father and siblings. There will be other families too who have had this in their gene pool for decades. We have to get this help right, now and for future generations.

• Hello Adelaide, thank you for writing such a moving profile. There are so many parallels with my mother's life. She was born in 1929, I now believe that she had Asperger's, but no one knew at the time. Her father also worked in a bank all his life until he retired and was very good with numbers, he also had some said behaviours to do with tidiness and order, I suspect that the condition was passed down his line. He met my grandmother at the bank where she worked and they went on to marry. Both grandparents were overprotective of my mother, she was a constant worry to them, as she had so many classic signs of Asperger's. My mother married and had four children. She was detached from all of us and couldn't show affection. As a child I didn't know why she was different from other mothers, but I knew from an early age that she was. Now at 53 years of age, I am aware that I too have signs of Asperger's and I am waiting for an assessment, that my dear mother didn't have. She died many years ago before any understanding of the condition. It saddens me to know of the missed opportunities for me, my mother, father and siblings. There will be other families too who have had this in their gene pool for decades. We have to get this help right, now and for future generations.

Children
No Data