Self Referral Help

Hello, 

I was hoping that someone could help me out - those that have self referred, did you have to fill in a complicated form to self refer? I have been sent the form to fill in but it looks like it should be someone in the medical profession filling it rather than me. When I went to my doctor, he refused to refer me and didn't listen to what I had to say, so I feel the only viable route to go is self referral. Is there a service that could help me fill the form out?

Thanks

Charlotte

Parents
  • Hello Charlotte,

I have not self-referred but I do have some experience with the diagnostic process (having just been diagnosed myself). Is this the first time that you have approached a doctor for a referral? If so, I would recommend writing down your reasons for wanting/needing a referral and presenting your case to another doctor. I would also recommend emailing the National Autistic Society; they can offer advice on getting a referral and may be able to answer your specific question on self-referral. One more thing, once you have emailed the National Autistic Society, it may be worth mentioning to your doctor that you have been in contact with the National Autistic Society. Hope this provides some help for you.

All the best,

Hollie

• Hello Charlotte,

I have not self-referred but I do have some experience with the diagnostic process (having just been diagnosed myself). Is this the first time that you have approached a doctor for a referral? If so, I would recommend writing down your reasons for wanting/needing a referral and presenting your case to another doctor. I would also recommend emailing the National Autistic Society; they can offer advice on getting a referral and may be able to answer your specific question on self-referral. One more thing, once you have emailed the National Autistic Society, it may be worth mentioning to your doctor that you have been in contact with the National Autistic Society. Hope this provides some help for you.

All the best,

Hollie

Children
No Data