Hi there :)

My name is Vince. I have been considering the possibility of my being autistic for a good few years now but only in the past year or so have I been engaging in actual research to determine the answer. I am currently self-diagnosed but I am looking into an official diagnosis. Looking forward to chatting with others + getting some advice. :) 

Taking steps to get an official diagnosis has been nerve wracking. I am waiting on a call from my GP to begin the referral process!

• Hi Vince,

I feel you on how it is to believe to be on the spectrum and waiting for an official diagnosis.

I've done a similar thing and, a few months ago, got diagnosed with Asperger's (which was expected).

I hope you'll get the answer soon.

• Thanks!

That's the main thing I'm scared of - being told I'm wrong. Autism really made a lot of things click into place for me, and I'm somewhat worried that if I'm NOT autistic then - well, what's wrong with me? I've been a little obsessed with researching it, and I do think I'm right, but there's always that doubt.

I just turned 22 and I'm still in Uni. I've asked for extra help and accommodation since I struggle so much, but was basically told they can't do anything to help unless I have a diagnosis. So, here we are.

Thank you for your words, I'm looking forward to participating here.

• Hi welcome to the forum.....

I was diagnosed in my 30s and found the whole experience nerve wracking too. 

I think I was more worried they were going to say that I wasn't autistic, because being autistic just seemed to make my life make sense.

I answered all the questionnaires and gave lots of information and then went for a face to face assessment. My assessor basically said well done for working it out you are correct you are autistic. It was a relief in many ways but not without its challenges. I did a lot of self-reflection and had to integrate this new perspective through which to see my life.

I have found this forum so helpful in this process and I hope you do too.

• hey, 

hope you like it here 

good luck with your diagnosis

we are all here ready to support your journey