Struggling to access support- awaiting diagnosis

Hi all, I was wondering how common it is to be passed from pillar to post in the lead up to diagnosis for high functioning autism/Aspergers any experiences or advice would be most appreciated.

I was initially referred by my GP back in October 2019 for an ASD assessment following a complete breakdown earlier in the year and it was the counselling services provided by my work that gave me the push to go down this route.

I am miles away from where I was this time last year mentally and feel like I understand myself so much better but I know my biggest struggle now when it comes to me going to work (currently furloughed) is the exhaustion that comes with it! I can get through the day and the week but I am knackered and feel like I can’t do anything else in the week if I want to be able to get up again for work the next day.

I really struggle trying to switch off on a night, it’s like my brain doesn’t turn off! Physically and mentally I’m exhausted and ready to sleep but then something will keep me up, it could be something that happened in the day or something I’ve got to do the next day... just seem to overthink about every thing and anything. I spend ages trying to get to sleep and after discussing this with my gp he doesn’t think sleeping pills will do me any good long term and wanted me to get some talking therapies or CBT to try and help me work out why I am overthinking certain things or what I can do to deal with stress and anxiety.

I have been told I have an 18month waiting list for my area (pre Covid so that could be extended) for the ASD assessment so It was suggested I try local services in the meantime to help me deal with the generalised anxiety levels. I went to them and because I wasn’t aware how long I was waiting for the assessment just that I had been referred they had come to the conclusion that most of my issues I was presenting indicated ASD and that I should chase that assessment and access the specific services provided by that.

I went back to my GP who was frustrated that Healthy minds had basically sent me back and had suggested I call again now we know I still have another year to wait to see if this will change their position on it and help me with dealing with anxiety and worrying in the meantime. This has not been helpful at all and Healthy minds after another assessment and it linking up to the one I had not long had they have said as my problems haven’t really changed their outcome on the decision hasn’t changed and I wouldn’t benefit from their service and I should look for services specifically to help ASD.

So what do I do now my referral can’t be sped up unless I start having a breakdown or get into a crisis and my GP is telling me to chase Healthy minds but they won’t help me and say I should chase the assessment....

In all fairness now I am not as concerned about the impact this has on me as I’m on furlough (Sports industry) and really enjoying the down time, it’s frustrating still not being able to switch off but I don’t have that added stress of having to get to bed because I have to be up early. My concern was when I go back I will end up burning out again (I have found I last 6-9 months before I can really see it impacting my work) and I had not long started this job before lockdown so I was more concerned this will happen again more than anything else.

It’s a role I want to be in for years and can see it as a career, previous jobs I haven’t cared as much about and it’s only been the fact that I’m really good at my job that I have been able to get away with it so far. Had I not been as good at the job I’m pretty certain I’d have been out of there long before I left. I am more aware of myself and what triggers me but there’s some things I am still struggling with in the workplace and I know that would be a little easier if I could get to sleep better.

I have been told by my manager that our working style will pretty much change for the foreseeable and when we do go back to work all that can be done remotely will be from home and I will only have to go in for meetings or events which in effect has made this my perfect role moving forward and that excites me more than it worries me. But it still doesn’t stop me struggling to switch off now, it’s not until the end of the working week I seem to be that exhausted that I can fall asleep easier.

I know all of the things I seem to struggle with come with the territory of ASD but I also know it’s what makes my best qualities too. I guess I was hoping to have some sort of support I could access in the meantime whilst they wait for an official diagnosis. Any tips/help with trying to slow a hectic brain down at the end of the day would be most appreciated! I think I can just about manage full time work (as long as I’m not taking on extra stress outside of work) and can recognise much better now when I am struggling and needing to either take a step back or have some help. But I do know if I could help myself with this bit then it should help me deal better with some of the other struggles during the day.