Hello, just joined

Hi all Relaxed

I am a young adult that was officially diagnosed with ASC (Asperger's side) around three years ago. To help me deal with the lockdown better, I have made a routine and it seems to be working so far. I've even tried to learn how to knit to keep my brain occupied!

My therapist from the adult mental health team and I still have appointments on the phone and she gives me goals, or "homework", to complete before our next session. One of my goals this week is to join an online community centered around Autism/ASD and introduce myself. Hello Laughing

Meeting new people - in real life and online - is daunting to me. Starting and maintaining conversations is a struggle. I often don't know how to respond to other people's input. I'm lucky that most of the people in my social circle accept me as I am, and try to accommodate.

One of my favourite ways to spend my down-time is to play video games. I enjoy playing many different games across multiple platforms. I'm currently playing games such as Fallout 76, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, and Pokémon Crystal. I'll probably be playing completely different games in a couple of weeks Stuck out tongue closed eyes

Thank you for reading!

Parents
  • Hello and welcome :) I think it’s great that you have joined up here - I totally understand your social struggles. I’m in the same boat and I’m making a real effort with being sociable to try and build both social skills and maybe make new friends along the way :) 

• Hi, thanks =) The fact that you're making the effort is very commendable. I normally just lurk in the background, but I'll try to converse more with people too =)

• Ion usually do the same but then I realised how being so isolated and lonely wasn’t helping my wellbeing - as such I decided to try to be proactive, although it doesn’t come naturally to me to be sociable. You should definitely converse with others more as you come across as an interesting person :) 

• Ditto - see there’s always positives even to something as difficult as ASD. I grant it’s not always easy but I like to think it’s not all bad. I spend too much of my life researching - I’m a history geek! 

•  I've just thought of something! I like researching and finding out about things.

=)

• Yeah I think it would be easier. You will need to message me as your account has the default settings which doesn’t allow me to message you. My settings have been set to allow anyone to message me :) once you’ve initiated the conversation it will however let me reply I believe :) 

I think for me I love my analytical mindset and even done of my black and white thinking I find quite comforting. I think my least favourite traits relate to my social skills. 

I look forward to your message :) 

• Okay, I don't mind chatting in private. It would probably be much easier =) 

I can't really think of any traits that I like, at the moment. It's difficult to know what is a trait and what isn't. I would probably get rid of the sensory difficulties. I can see when food looks delicious, but I wouldn't be able to eat them due to the smell or texture. The concentration issues would probably be my first choice, though. Imagine all of the things I'd be able to do then! Although, maybe a lot of my inability to concentrate stem from the sensory side (like unignorable sounds and textures). 

I look forward to being med-free! I think I have around 2 months left before I start being weaned off. I'll make sure that I'll use the time wisely and be productive.

=)

• Fortunately my parents only ever text, my brother stays in touch via WhatsApp - so I’ve a system that works :) I may end up returning to social media sometime, but not for now. 

What your teachers said about you subs me up - but I guess I am what I am, I know my abilities and that’s what matters I guess.

By the way if it’s easier than using thus thread, feel free to send me a private message instead.   My account settings have been changed so anyone can message me :) just figured that may be slightly easier.

Heres a question... which of your traits do you like and which would you get rid of tomorrow if you had the chance?

Going med free is great but obviously only do it when it’s right for you :)  I won’t lie, it’s initially tough but once your body and head has adapted it feels good because you know you are back in control. 

• That is great to hear that you're managing really well without medication =) I don't have the best willpower, but I will try to get my head together and follow my aspirations (without being too hard on myself). 

A quote that was used to describe me by various teachers throughout secondary school was: "You've got plenty in your head - the knowledge is all there. You just need to make the effort and apply yourself". Looking up other people on the spectrum's experiences, I found that a lot of other people had the same thing told to them.

Yes, that's true! The past is in the past, there's no changing it. What you can change is the now and the future. 

Social media is not healthy at all to people's mental wellbeing, no. My dad used to message us on Facebook, even though I kept saying that I don't go on it anymore. He now understands that if he wants to connect with me, he can do so through text. I use discord to chat with my friends as it's geared more towards gaming. 

=)

• That is great to hear that you're managing really well without medication =) I don't have the best willpower, but I will try to get my head together and follow my aspirations (without being too hard on myself). 

A quote that was used to describe me by various teachers throughout secondary school was: "You've got plenty in your head - the knowledge is all there. You just need to make the effort and apply yourself". Looking up other people on the spectrum's experiences, I found that a lot of other people had the same thing told to them.

Yes, that's true! The past is in the past, there's no changing it. What you can change is the now and the future. 

Social media is not healthy at all to people's mental wellbeing, no. My dad used to message us on Facebook, even though I kept saying that I don't go on it anymore. He now understands that if he wants to connect with me, he can do so through text. I use discord to chat with my friends as it's geared more towards gaming. 

=)

Children
  • Ditto - see there’s always positives even to something as difficult as ASD. I grant it’s not always easy but I like to think it’s not all bad. I spend too much of my life researching - I’m a history geek! 

•  I've just thought of something! I like researching and finding out about things.

=)

• Yeah I think it would be easier. You will need to message me as your account has the default settings which doesn’t allow me to message you. My settings have been set to allow anyone to message me :) once you’ve initiated the conversation it will however let me reply I believe :) 

I think for me I love my analytical mindset and even done of my black and white thinking I find quite comforting. I think my least favourite traits relate to my social skills. 

I look forward to your message :) 

• Okay, I don't mind chatting in private. It would probably be much easier =) 

I can't really think of any traits that I like, at the moment. It's difficult to know what is a trait and what isn't. I would probably get rid of the sensory difficulties. I can see when food looks delicious, but I wouldn't be able to eat them due to the smell or texture. The concentration issues would probably be my first choice, though. Imagine all of the things I'd be able to do then! Although, maybe a lot of my inability to concentrate stem from the sensory side (like unignorable sounds and textures). 

I look forward to being med-free! I think I have around 2 months left before I start being weaned off. I'll make sure that I'll use the time wisely and be productive.

=)

• Fortunately my parents only ever text, my brother stays in touch via WhatsApp - so I’ve a system that works :) I may end up returning to social media sometime, but not for now. 

What your teachers said about you subs me up - but I guess I am what I am, I know my abilities and that’s what matters I guess.

By the way if it’s easier than using thus thread, feel free to send me a private message instead.   My account settings have been changed so anyone can message me :) just figured that may be slightly easier.

Heres a question... which of your traits do you like and which would you get rid of tomorrow if you had the chance?

Going med free is great but obviously only do it when it’s right for you :)  I won’t lie, it’s initially tough but once your body and head has adapted it feels good because you know you are back in control.