Step mum to a 4 year old with autism

Hi All,

I am a stepmum to a 4 year old boy with autism. My partner and I are struggling. We only have him every other weekend and it is hard work. He’s out of routine, he won’t sleep, he’s obsessed with me and we need help. 

I have a niece who is non verbal autistic so I do have a bit of knowledge, but for my own sanity I’m looking forward to being on this forum and learning from others. 

xx

• Hello Lobae,

Individuals on the spectrum can often display behaviour that may be challenging. There will generally be a reason for this and it is important to try and understand the trigger for the behaviour when developing strategies.

You may like to have a look at the following link for more information on behaviour and strategies:

http://www.autism.org.uk/living-with-autism/understanding-behaviour.aspx

You may be interested in seeking some professional support regarding the behaviour. You can search for professionals in your area we are aware of on the Autism Services Directory: www.autism.org.uk/directory.aspx

You may like to contact The Autism Helpline who can provide information and advice on behaviour and strategies. You can call them on 0808 800 4104 10am – 3pm, Monday to Friday. Please note that the Helpline is experiencing a high volume of calls and it may take a couple of attempts before you get through to speak to an advisor.