Mum to two autistic sons and one under diagnosis

Hi everyone. 

To introduce myself, I'm a mum to two autistic sons 11 and 13 and a younger son 5 going through diagnosis.

My eldest was diagnosed Aspergers syndrome (now under the same umbrella of autism) and spd aged 5 and I had never even heard of autism, we didn't know anything about it at all so it was a very stressful time on learning about it all.

Our second son was diagnosed aged 6 autism, Adhd, spd

This was a bit easier as we knew about autism but didn't know about Adhd 

Over the years our eldest has had torettes syndrome and high anxieties added.

Our middle son has been on medication of concerta xl

But our eldest has been on a few concerta xl, lisdexamphetamine and finally sertraline. 

Our main difficulties are the spd sensory Processing Disorder. 

This cause so many different problems including meltdowns. 

I invite any suggestions for help with d.i.y sensory items (they can be very expensive)

And I offer my support if anyone needed it 

Parents
  • Hi, thank you for sharing and I hope you're doing well and having a good day today. I was diagnosed as autistic at 30 and have been thinking back on my childhood, I'm not sure if this will help but thought I would share just in case. I've come across a few things recently that I thought were good ideas such as sensory blankets (soft, warm blanket with objects of different textures sewn on such as buttons, velcro, fluffy material etc), stress balls to release tension from arms and hands, and areas of retreat that are small and enclosed such as making a small 'fort' in the corner of a room to hide in (I used to hide a lot as a child in small spaces). Wishing you all the very best

• Hi, thank you for sharing and I hope you're doing well and having a good day today. I was diagnosed as autistic at 30 and have been thinking back on my childhood, I'm not sure if this will help but thought I would share just in case. I've come across a few things recently that I thought were good ideas such as sensory blankets (soft, warm blanket with objects of different textures sewn on such as buttons, velcro, fluffy material etc), stress balls to release tension from arms and hands, and areas of retreat that are small and enclosed such as making a small 'fort' in the corner of a room to hide in (I used to hide a lot as a child in small spaces). Wishing you all the very best

Children
No Data