Hi, I’m new and only just diagnosed

Hi,

I have just been diagnosed with Autism at the age of 29. I have special interests in hamster genetics, Pokemon and Harry Potter. I’m still in shock from the diagnosis but it hasn’t yet been 24 hours since I was told the outcome of my assessment. I’m just now questioning what that now means for me, like what do I do to access support or help now I have a diagnosis. I have struggled to get a job my entire adult life as everything I am qualified for I struggle doing practically as it involves communication with others and a lot of small talk. I can do the theory behind it all but I can’t put it into practice. I was given the diagnosis at the end of the assessment as I ticked nearly every marker on their diagnostic test, there was only a couple that I didn’t tick. My parents are in denial so I can’t talk to them about it and I don’t know where to turn. The psychologist suggested the National Autistic Society as a starting point to look up information and she is going to send me some information to signpost me to other places when she sends out the official report.  

Parents
  • Hi Pinkpixie, welcome and congratulations on having gone through the process of being diagnosed and finding some answers, and for sharing here. I was diagnosed at age 30 (I'm 32 now) and the overall experience has been very positive for me, although uphill. Hopefully here on the forum you will be able to significantly accelerate the process of self-care. It's also been a process of 'dropping the mask' so to speak which has taken me some time, and is still a journey, but absolutely worth it, I think, for the protection of energy levels and understand the self more. The adjustments I've made since the diagnosis that have helped me 1,000% are: buying noise-cancelling headphones and wearing these often (the first day I wore these, the relief was instant), buying discreet, transparent earplugs to help dim background sound, creating soothing playlists of non-verbal music to listen to, creating a timetable and buying a cheap, second hand smart watch that sets reminders for daily tasks, a physical diary with lists for meals / groceries needed / bill dates etc, and trying to keep at least one day at the weekend free to be completely alone. Some workplaces and universities have continuous assistance for people on the spectrum but I don't know very much about these yet - if you'd like some more info I will gladly do some digging and send you some links that might help. There are also beginning to be more companies that exclusively employ people on the spectrum, such as Auticon, who have an 'interview' process that requires no speaking at all if you don't want to but they ask you to complete a set of specially-designed tests, in an office designed for autistic people. I hope you're doing well, and this forum is a great place, I have only been here for one day and already feel more validated than ever before. (Also I love Pokemon and Harry Potter too!) Do let me know if you have any questions.

• Also I just remembered, having chewing gum and a stress ball or ring / bracelet to spin can help with focusing or relieving tension, and sunglasses / baseball cap for bright light. It's all about protecting those energy levels!

• Also I just remembered, having chewing gum and a stress ball or ring / bracelet to spin can help with focusing or relieving tension, and sunglasses / baseball cap for bright light. It's all about protecting those energy levels!

Children
No Data