Hiya everyone Im new here! :)

Hi everyone. I'm a stay at home mum of 3 and my daughter of 7 has an asd diagnoses. My heart is breaking for her. She will be 8 on 3rd of March and she asked if she could have "friends" over to do something for her birthday. They all told her no we dont want to play with you because you are weird. She gets picked on quite a lot and doesnt have any friends. Im looking for some advice to help boost her confidence and for an idea of what to do on her birthday now as nobody will come :( tia Nadine 

Parents
  • Birthdays are always hard without reliable friends.     I'd suggest doing some kind of amazing experience with her that other kids don't get to do.

You'd be amazed at the number of things you can organise if you talk to the management of interesting places - also, as her carer, you often get to do the same experience for free so it's effectively half price..

My daughter's pretty much grown up but when she was little, she's done a behind the scenes tour of Legoland and has met all the model builders and they eventually set her free to help herself in their parts warehouse with a big bag to fill.

She's also done a VIP tour of Hamleys in London where we handed her over to the PR lady while we went to the top-floor cafe to wait - a couple of hours later, she'd been taken all around the entire shop and has been introduced to all the staff and had almost every toy demonstrated to her and they'd given her some dressing up outfits, a load of books, a ton of sweets etc so when it was time to take her to buy the toy that she had decided on, all the staff were greeting her so she was like a little superstar - and all the tourists were taking her picture because they thought she was someone famous.

Lots of zoos do animal interactions - she's met & fed and interacted with everything from, penguins, dolphins, red pandas, young lions, birds of prey, meerkats, sea lions etc.    The smaller the park, the more personal they can be - and March is the quiet season so they often quietly give a lot more for your money.   She's meeting a pack of wild wolves and taking them for a hunt this year.

She's also flown a glider, done go-karting, wild animal photography days and had a go at scuba diving.  

Don't forget to take her out for something to eat - every restaurant will make it special and sing happy birthday to her and a cake & candles can be arranged.

Make her day special for her on a personal level - an experience to remember.

• Birthdays are always hard without reliable friends.     I'd suggest doing some kind of amazing experience with her that other kids don't get to do.

You'd be amazed at the number of things you can organise if you talk to the management of interesting places - also, as her carer, you often get to do the same experience for free so it's effectively half price..

My daughter's pretty much grown up but when she was little, she's done a behind the scenes tour of Legoland and has met all the model builders and they eventually set her free to help herself in their parts warehouse with a big bag to fill.

She's also done a VIP tour of Hamleys in London where we handed her over to the PR lady while we went to the top-floor cafe to wait - a couple of hours later, she'd been taken all around the entire shop and has been introduced to all the staff and had almost every toy demonstrated to her and they'd given her some dressing up outfits, a load of books, a ton of sweets etc so when it was time to take her to buy the toy that she had decided on, all the staff were greeting her so she was like a little superstar - and all the tourists were taking her picture because they thought she was someone famous.

Lots of zoos do animal interactions - she's met & fed and interacted with everything from, penguins, dolphins, red pandas, young lions, birds of prey, meerkats, sea lions etc.    The smaller the park, the more personal they can be - and March is the quiet season so they often quietly give a lot more for your money.   She's meeting a pack of wild wolves and taking them for a hunt this year.

She's also flown a glider, done go-karting, wild animal photography days and had a go at scuba diving.  

Don't forget to take her out for something to eat - every restaurant will make it special and sing happy birthday to her and a cake & candles can be arranged.

Make her day special for her on a personal level - an experience to remember.

Children
No Data