Hiya everyone Im new here! :)

Hi everyone. I'm a stay at home mum of 3 and my daughter of 7 has an asd diagnoses. My heart is breaking for her. She will be 8 on 3rd of March and she asked if she could have "friends" over to do something for her birthday. They all told her no we dont want to play with you because you are weird. She gets picked on quite a lot and doesnt have any friends. Im looking for some advice to help boost her confidence and for an idea of what to do on her birthday now as nobody will come :( tia Nadine 

Parents
  • Wow! That’s a heavy load to carry! Children can be so cruel sometimes. I hope the school is doing all they can to support you and your daughter.

If it were me (after phoning the helpline) I would be trying to join a local ASD group outside of school so she could be in a more forgiving environment and hopefully make friends that way. I’m speaking as an ASD adult with one daughter on the pathway to diagnosis. Plus I was ‘different’ because I was the mixed race kid in very ‘white’ areas - I would have had a better time as a kid if I was just around more children who looked like me regardless of my ASD traits so finding affinity is always something I value in friendships. Whatever you decide to do tomorrow for her birthday, I hope she enjoys it Blush

• Wow! That’s a heavy load to carry! Children can be so cruel sometimes. I hope the school is doing all they can to support you and your daughter.

If it were me (after phoning the helpline) I would be trying to join a local ASD group outside of school so she could be in a more forgiving environment and hopefully make friends that way. I’m speaking as an ASD adult with one daughter on the pathway to diagnosis. Plus I was ‘different’ because I was the mixed race kid in very ‘white’ areas - I would have had a better time as a kid if I was just around more children who looked like me regardless of my ASD traits so finding affinity is always something I value in friendships. Whatever you decide to do tomorrow for her birthday, I hope she enjoys it Blush

Children
No Data