P.E problems

Hi everyone 

I’m mum to five children, one girl diagnosed with autism aged 10 (11 next month), one boy aged 7 currently awaiting assessment for ASD and ADHD after previously being told nothing wrong by paediatric doc but consultant saw autism and attention issues, one boy aged 4 currently under assessment for ASD and two girls aged 9 and 12 who are neurotypical.

Really struggling with our 10 year old daughter, school have been little to no help all her school life, she doesn’t do P.E. and becomes really distressed when it’s P.E day at school and when school try to force the issue. We are finally getting the autism service involved with school but she moves to secondary school in September and I am worried about what’s to come. Has anyone else been through similar issue.

Parents
  • I hope you dont mind me poking my nose in here but I go through something similar to your daughter so feel I may be able to offer some help here. I dont like P.E. either. Never have. Its to noisy and i hate having to use the changing rooms. In little school I didn’t like changing with the other girls and come big school i started having panic attacks everytime it was P.E. day. Im very shy and changing in front of people I dont know stresses me out big time. So my mum spoke to the school and they came up with a couple of ways for me to get over this problem.

• Wearing P.E. clothes under my school uniform. This worked ok. I was able to take of my uniform and then was good to go but during the summer was impossible to do because of the heat.
    • Waiting for the other girls to get changed and then go in and change after them. This worked good but sometimes people would come back for forgotten items so that made me stressed.
    • Change in the toilet cubicles. This is the one which worked best for me. I’m 16 now and still get changed this way everytime we have P.E. . Its stopped all the stress and anxiety. People obviously come in the toilets but it’s ok because I’m shieled by the cubicle wall.

I dont know if this will help your daughter but its something you might want to consider and tlak with her about. It helped me and still helps now so hopefully it might help you to.

• Thank you, some thoughts to look into, she doesn’t like any aspect of P.E at all within school environment 

Reply Children
No Data