P.E problems

Hi everyone 

I’m mum to five children, one girl diagnosed with autism aged 10 (11 next month), one boy aged 7 currently awaiting assessment for ASD and ADHD after previously being told nothing wrong by paediatric doc but consultant saw autism and attention issues, one boy aged 4 currently under assessment for ASD and two girls aged 9 and 12 who are neurotypical.

Really struggling with our 10 year old daughter, school have been little to no help all her school life, she doesn’t do P.E. and becomes really distressed when it’s P.E day at school and when school try to force the issue. We are finally getting the autism service involved with school but she moves to secondary school in September and I am worried about what’s to come. Has anyone else been through similar issue.

Parents
  • Hello. I am really sorry to hear your daughter is struggling at school. I struggled at school as well and they were less than supportive which resulted in my mum home schooling me, though I realise this isn't an option everybody can do.

Perhaps it might be an idea to get in touch with her new school now, tell them about the situation and maybe they will try and set some help up for her before she gets there in September. Hopefully her new school will help her with this.

• Primary school have been told strictly no P.E as her anxiety is through the roof at just the thought, she struggles with dressing and also has quite severe trust issues with adults outside of the home, she is selective mute and only talks at home to me, dad and siblings. Primary school have tried forcing the issue and it’s caused an emotional breakdown and now I’m being informed that secondary will expect her to change in kit and even if not participating actively she would have to referree or keep score but until we know her placement they can’t assess her needs. We’re involving autism services at school and I’m also pushing for an EHCP (Education Health and Care Plan) because it’s a legal document and they’re not really sticking to her My Plan. I’d love to look at the home schooling option but with four other children it’s not ideal as they’d expect the same and learning the curriculum. Plus home is their safe space and calm bringing a classroom atmosphere would upset that.

• Primary school have been told strictly no P.E as her anxiety is through the roof at just the thought, she struggles with dressing and also has quite severe trust issues with adults outside of the home, she is selective mute and only talks at home to me, dad and siblings. Primary school have tried forcing the issue and it’s caused an emotional breakdown and now I’m being informed that secondary will expect her to change in kit and even if not participating actively she would have to referree or keep score but until we know her placement they can’t assess her needs. We’re involving autism services at school and I’m also pushing for an EHCP (Education Health and Care Plan) because it’s a legal document and they’re not really sticking to her My Plan. I’d love to look at the home schooling option but with four other children it’s not ideal as they’d expect the same and learning the curriculum. Plus home is their safe space and calm bringing a classroom atmosphere would upset that.

Children
  • From what you're describing, it sounds like getting changed into her PE kit in front of people is one of her main worries, would it be possible for the school to let her get changed somewhere more privately? (At least for now, reviewing the situation later if necessary?)

PE can also be a bit of a nightmare if someone lacks good physical coordination (speaking from personal experience), I don't know whether that applies here, but it sounds helpful that the new school would let her be a referee.