Hello

Hey,

I've been wondering whether or not to post this, but here we are.

I recently got involved with NAS through volunteering, having not a great deal of prior knowledge about autism but wanting to volunteer some of my time to charity. Browsing through the support material, I started recognising similar behaviours in myself. I shrugged it off at first and put it down to the all too common WebMD-styled self-diagnosis, but the further I read, the more I understood and the more I began to consider there's more to it.

The reason I'm now reaching out is that I believe the behaviours I read about, and now see in myself, are what's affecting my work and social life. I've always been this person but never understood why, but am beginning to think that I may have Asperger syndrome.

I'm in my thirties and unsure whether to seek professional diagnosis or continue as I am; after all, I've made it this far. My family wouldn't understand my asking their involvement in the process as I'm "perfectly normal" by their standards. I fear there will be ridicule, disbelief, and a lack of support if I am to share this with friends and family. Most of all, I fear trivialising autism itself via a negative diagnosis.

Can anyone who has experienced, or is experiencing a similar situation please share their story?

Best regards,
- R

Parents
  • hello and welcome. I was diagnosed nearly 2 years ago in my 40s after a period of wondering "ooh am I". I haven't shared my diagnosis with family, as I am not sure they'd get it, but the friends and colleagues I have disclosed to have been very supportive. I did it for my own self validation really.

• hello and welcome. I was diagnosed nearly 2 years ago in my 40s after a period of wondering "ooh am I". I haven't shared my diagnosis with family, as I am not sure they'd get it, but the friends and colleagues I have disclosed to have been very supportive. I did it for my own self validation really.

Children
No Data