Hi I am new

Hoping to find some clarity and support. Recently discovered my 10 year old daughter is on the spectrum. Learning as a parent about mild autism has held a mirror up to my life. I have moved back to the UK as a single Mom after 20 years living abroad. Living with my parents who are ignorant to spectrum is a massive challenge and trigger. I came back to the UK with a strong sense of finding support for my daughter and myself but feel that I am falling into a rut of coping habits and suppression of self. A sense of drowning and floundering back and forth with past and struggling to get ahead, cope or do important tasks. I guess I am trying to find my routine and calm in a challenging chaotic situation without 'routines' getting in the way or being a problem with those around me. So this is a step forward to involve myself into a community and read others experiences and motivate myself again to find a purpose with it all.

Parents
  • Hi, Hanpan. Welcome to the community - I hope you find it helpful.

In terms of helpful resources, I'd recommend Purple Ella's YouTube videos for you, and a book called 'Can you see me?' by Libby Scott and Rebecca Westcott for your daughter. Purple Ella has lots of advice for autistic people and parents of autistic children, and the book is a lovely story that I wish I'd read as a young autistic girl. 

• Hi, Hanpan. Welcome to the community - I hope you find it helpful.

In terms of helpful resources, I'd recommend Purple Ella's YouTube videos for you, and a book called 'Can you see me?' by Libby Scott and Rebecca Westcott for your daughter. Purple Ella has lots of advice for autistic people and parents of autistic children, and the book is a lovely story that I wish I'd read as a young autistic girl. 

Children
No Data