New member saying 'hi'

Hi everyone,

I was diagnosed at the age of 43. Two years prior to that I received an ADHD diagnosis and before that, an SpLD diagnosis of dyscalculia - unfortunate since I'm a science guy and would love to master the art of data analysis. I have since graduated from university with a third class honours, and as such, am finding it extremely difficult getting shortlisted for interview for graduate (and even non-graduate) employment within my sector of interest. Some feedback I got from the Environment Agency is that I failed to evidence 'good communication skills' on my application form, which is why I didn't get shortlisted for interview. The annoying part of that is that they have a policy of guaranteeing interviews to disabled applicants who meet the criteria. Which raises the question, is it worth disclosing that I am autistic on application forms?

I also suck at relationships, and seem to attract/ be attracted to women with mental health problems. My latest disaster was because she refused to accept that I cannot read signs and that she expected me to pick up on the signals and take hints. I expressly asked her to verbalise boundaries etc, so that I could be respectful, but she wasn't willing to accept that. 

So, how do you all negotiate the employment and relationships minefields? Are there any careers advice places that are geared towards helping autistic adults into employment? I currently work as a cleaner but I'd love to use my science degree to get into research as I know I would excel in that field. Ideally, I'd love to get accepted to do a Masters by Research but most institutions require a 2:1.

Parents Reply Children