Hello! I am a SENDCo and I would like to organise the BEST Autism Awareness day ever in April...any ideas?!

Hello all,

I am a SENDCo and I want to organise the BEST Autism Awareness day ever in April.What would help raise awareness? What would you like others to know that they might not? How could I do this well? We have a number of children with Autism at my school and I want to make sure that they are fairly represented.

Any tips/ideas would be wholly welcome!

Katherine

Parents
  • Whatever you do don't say that all autistic children are the same.bi just an article that said autistic brains are symmetrical and neutotypical brains are not but that there was a larger variety of autistic brains whereas NTs are all v similar.  

Children need to be taught empathy. Link in the day with the zones of regulation lessons and talk about how autistic children have more triggers that can send them to the red zone or yellow zone quicker . 

• Please don't say an article said that autistic brains are symmetrical and others are not. There is so much nonsense out there in the world about the causes of autism. I have a Pediatric Doctors letter listing many diseases that are linked to autistic behavior and a request not to quote him as other Doctors may differ. If there is a quote from the Lancet or other peer reviewed publication then that's better as far as it goes.

From my own experience in being latched absolutely for 37 years bar a few weeks to my son's severe autistic behavior, other causes I know of being: Viral damage, Physical damage, Genetic Heredity, Happenings during Pregnancy, Actually being born damage.  We all live in a world where life is Fragile and all organisms will strive to continue to live however damaged. Some believe there is an out of Space link, but with Autistic people I think it would be fair to say you can't catch it from another, but an autistic person may find another persons behavior stimulating and to such an extent it will be explored to the outer edges of the envelope of possible behavior by continuous repetition, repetition. just accept people as they are.

• Please don't say an article said that autistic brains are symmetrical and others are not. There is so much nonsense out there in the world about the causes of autism. I have a Pediatric Doctors letter listing many diseases that are linked to autistic behavior and a request not to quote him as other Doctors may differ. If there is a quote from the Lancet or other peer reviewed publication then that's better as far as it goes.

From my own experience in being latched absolutely for 37 years bar a few weeks to my son's severe autistic behavior, other causes I know of being: Viral damage, Physical damage, Genetic Heredity, Happenings during Pregnancy, Actually being born damage.  We all live in a world where life is Fragile and all organisms will strive to continue to live however damaged. Some believe there is an out of Space link, but with Autistic people I think it would be fair to say you can't catch it from another, but an autistic person may find another persons behavior stimulating and to such an extent it will be explored to the outer edges of the envelope of possible behavior by continuous repetition, repetition. just accept people as they are.

Children
No Data