Hello. I hope I'm not crazy

Hi all. My name is Rachel. I'm a 28 yr old mother to a 4 yr old and a wife to a wonderful husband who always puts up with my crazy. 

I have never actually been diagnosed with ASD, but all roads seem to point in this direction. I've even had people ask me if I'm autistic, and I always answer with "I don't know."

Anyway, I am hoping that I can connect with some people and at least discuss the oddities of life and the things I don't understand or struggle with, and hope that someone out there can assure me that I'm not insane.

Thanks,

Rachel

• Hi and welcome Slight smile

I haven’t been diagnosed yet but and husband and sons always put up with my “crazy” too. My 8 year old has a song about me “my mum is a weirdo, my mum is a freak” but it’s a nice song sang in very loving way Joy

• Hi all. My name is Rachel. I'm a 28 yr old mother to a 4 yr old and a wife to a wonderful husband who always puts up with my crazy. 

Hi there.

I have never actually been diagnosed with ASD, but all roads seem to point in this direction. I've even had people ask me if I'm autistic, and I always answer with "I don't know."

A usual 'go to' on seeing if it is worth going for diagnosis or to some extent confirming a self diagnosis ~ is doing the Autistic Spectrum Quotient Test more usually referred to as the AQ-50 test, which is available to be done via the following link:

https://psychology-tools.com/test/autism-spectrum-quotient

If you score 32 or above the chances of being on the spectrum are more likely. There is also a comprehensive range of downloadable tests which are available (including the AQ50) if you feel inclined via the following link:

https://www.autismresearchcentre.com/arc_tests

Should you feel more certain after having done the tests that you are on the spectrum, maybe give 'The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome' book by Tony Attwood a read, which costs about £19 / $25 or is free as a PDF by the following link:

Anyway, I am hoping that I can connect with some people and at least discuss the oddities of life and the things I don't understand or struggle with, and hope that someone out there can assure me that I'm not insane.

Perhaps consider the sayings "There are none so mad than those who think they are not." that "Individuality is not a crime." and that there 'are' ~ "Different strokes for different folks." Also with going through the tests it does rather help to consider another expression on the different strokes theme, "If you've met one person with autism, you've met one person with autism."

Plus also is another website worth checking out more particularly for the characteristics of women and some men on the spectrum is:

https://the-art-of-autism.com/females-and-aspergers-a-checklist/

So hopefully all in all or one or more in particular, these will introduce you to autistic commonalities and different typologies and give you a bit more where-with-all about being on the spectrum ~ so that discussing things here (and elsewhere) can done be with at least a bit more confidence in contextual terms perhaps.

• Hello Rachel, welcome to the forum! Feel free to ask any questions and read my profile.

If you believe that you are on the spectrum, you should make an appointment with your GP, who will then decide whether or not to send you for an assessment.

Some Autistic traits include

• Doing tasks in a repetitive way.
    • Restricting your behaviours.

I am sure that you are not "Crazy", If you are diagnosed with Autism, it will simply give you a better understanding of why you are the way you are.

Should you receive a diagnosis of having Autism, you are NOT crazy or weird. You simply have a condition that makes you do things differently to others.

I hope that this helps.

P.S: Just out of curiosity, where about in the United States are you from? (I can only assume that you are from the US based on the info on your profile).