Hello!

Hi there,

I thought I'd start here as a way of introducing myself. I'm a 25 year old woman and although I've had my diagnosis (high functioning ASD) for a few years now I've not really joined anything like this. I think it's because I was still in denial and thought that with enough camouflaging I'd be able to 'hide in plain sight' - which as I now understand is not that unusual, particularly with women and girls. 

I've just been signed off from work with stress, and I think I need to ask my employer to make a reasonable adjustment to my conditions of employment (shorter working day, unambiguous description of tasks). I've only been working there for two weeks so I'm not sure how they're going to take it. Does anybody on here have any experience of asking an employer for reasonable adjustment? What did you ask for and how did it all go? 

Parents
  • Hello and welcome to the forum! I have been diagnosed with Level 2 ASD. Feel free to ask any questions and read my profile.

I personally have not had to ask an employer for adjustments. My last term of employment ended long before I was diagnosed.

Since you have had your diagnosis, you should inform your employer because, it would be within their policies to ensure that your working conditions are suitably adjusted for you. Try not to worry about it. I'm sure that they will be absolutely fine with you asking. I am also sure that you are not the only one there with the condition, and they will have made similar adjustments for others.

• May I also add, it's always nice to meet other academics on here.

Reply Children