What makes a person autistic

I'm researching autism and I cannot see a clear definition like you would for other mental health issues.

Is there a consist trait that only is present in autism and I read all the time that everyones autism is different, if this is true then in which ways is there a difference?

And I have also read that everyone has a bit of autism, and reference to a scale of autism if so is autism a sensitivity to our own senses and our severity of autism is only how over active our senses are to the natural environment?

What traits other than sensitivity overload would be associated with autism.? 

Parents
  • Hello K,

Have you tried googling the DSM-V and/or ICD-10 diagnostic criteria?

Also, please note that autism is a developmental disorder not a mental health issue i.e. you are born with autism whereas MH conditions are acquired. Relaxed

Good luck with your research,

Nessie

• Hello K,

Have you tried googling the DSM-V and/or ICD-10 diagnostic criteria?

Also, please note that autism is a developmental disorder not a mental health issue i.e. you are born with autism whereas MH conditions are acquired. Relaxed

Good luck with your research,

Nessie

Children
  • Hi Nessie 82,

Thanks for the info I'm looking at the ICD-10 diagnostic criteria at the moment, the other I can't seem to find as Reading material only reference I'll have another look later I think.

I was hoping thou to get feedback from the point of experience of an autistic person but the manual is good to. 

What do you think to the idea that everyone is on the autistic spectrum? 

I think sometimes that's the case but then I see some of my acquaintances and colleagues and I second guess that idea, as they love being social all the time and they thrive in complexity of everythg all at once, ha not like me at all and being the only autistic person I know really I'm not sure what autistic people are like and there are so many realisations I haven't had about myself  so it'hard to know what's me and what is the autism hence the questions. Grin