Looking for help and advice!

I have a 7 year old son who has been showing signs of autism. I don’t know a lot about autism. I’ve never even used a forum before. I’m just so lost and don’t know what to do to help him.

He has had speech problems from a young age. He started talking then stopped. He still struggles with speech to this day. He used to eat everything now he has major issues with food. He hates change to his routine, I have always had very big problem getting him into school/nursery. He had settled down before the summer holidays but now every morning he has a meltdown. Running away from me or grabbing on to me so I can’t leave, having to be carried into school by teachers whilst I walk away. His reading and writing is not what it should be at his age. He really struggles with all of it. After being offered help for him at school on numerous occasions, it just never happens! His behaviour in school is apparently perfect so I think the school thinks I’m overreacting. Today for the first time ever in his 7 years he had a major meltdown. I’ve never seen him like this and it was over something very small. It shocked me so much. I’m at a loss I don’t know where to turn, what to do,how to help him. I’ve made appointment for the doctors but I’m aware how long the waiting list is for any consultations. I’ve tried repeatedly with the school but they just don’t listen. Any help or advice from anyone would be so great. I’m desperate to help my little boy and understand what he is going through.

Parents Reply Children