34, diagnosed yesterday, hello!

Hello,

I'm generally nervous about posting on forums and replying so I thought I'd throw myself in.

13 years ago, whilst having an awful time studying to become a teacher on a PGCE course, I read about ASD and realised that I had it. I took lots of online tests and was shocked to score so highly but never felt able to join in with the autistic community as I wasn't diagnosed and was too scared to seek a diagnosis.

Recently, we have been in a better position financially so my husband agreed we could invest in a private assessment (waiting lists are 2 years here). I was incredibly nervous beforehand but the two psychologists were lovely. The assessment was yesterday. It was exhausting so I've been in bed all day today, but finally having a diagnosis feels very good.

I have told a few people but I'm feeling anxious about sharing my diagnosis with some people as I fear a negative reaction. Either "don't be ridiculous" or "that's why you're such a ****". I'd be really interested to hear how people have shared their diagnosis and what the reactions were.

The worst I have had so far was "It's a good job you weren't diagnosed as a child as you would have been written off as disabled". My twitter friends on the other hand have either said "I hope they can help you now" (as in, you have a problem that must be fixed") or "Congratulations, now you can be you".

Thanks for reading 

Parents Reply Children
No Data