Occupational Therapist

Hi my daughter aged 17 years is waiting for assessment and diagnosis from Camhs. The current waiting list is 2 years. We've been on list for 6 months. When they informed me that she was being referred for assessment I asked if there was any help they could provide in the interim period. In April this year they assisgned an occupational therapist. My daughter has not taken to her very well as she says the strategies she gives have already been tried and don't work for her.  She's becoming quite hostile towards OT as she doesn't want to continue, she says she doesn't listen to her about her sensory issues but tries to find alternative reason for feeling that way.

I would r4eally like to know if anyone else has had OT and how their child got on with then, did they help in any way? Id also like to know if I cancelled her altogether, would this decision have a reflection on Camhs viewpoint of their assessment of her, when she eventually gets one!

Would appreciate any advice or experiences about this please!

• HI NAS50183,

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's experience with her OT, you may like to contact our Autism Helpline team who can provide you with information and advice. You can contact the team via telephone on 0808 800 4104 (Monday to Thursday 10am to 4pm, Friday 9am to 3pm). Please note that the Helpline is experiencing a high volume of calls and it may take a couple of attempts before you get through to speak to an advisor. Alternatively, should you prefer to send a message, you can do so via their webform:

https://www.autism.org.uk/services/helplines/main/questions.aspx

Kind regards,

Heather - Mod