Hello from Glasgow

Let me introduce myself.  I'm a 65-year-old woman, originally from the Wirral but now a happily-adopted Scot. I am not formally diagnosed but I believe I have known since I was about 14, poking around in my older sister's college work and textbooks when she was training as a primary. I read the books and thought hey, this is about me. It explained a lot; I was a lonely, awkward and withdrawn child who was simply dismissed by teachers and parents alike as "difficult". I wasn't expected to achieve very much. I expect I'm far from alone in this experience among people of my age. What do you think?

Anyway, I muddled through and found ways of coping, and did all right really. I drifted into IT (or DP as it was then) because that was where the need was, got lucky and found myself at the cutting edge of the desktop revolution because I had a knack for it, although I preferred writing and watching old films. I could never keep a job because I never fitted in with office hierarchies but I found my niche as a freelance which let me do things my way in my time and freed me for the other things.

I did ask my GP for a formal assessment but he said it was very hard to get one on the NHS, so since by this time in my life it would be for completeness only I didn't feel like paying for a private assessment. Anyway, a couple of people who know what they are talking about have said I stick out like a sore thumb. I'm also quite adept at spotting others like us and empathising with them when it causes problems.

Parents Reply Children