New to NAS

Hi.

I'm Eleanor and I'm autistic. Asperger's Syndrome to be exact. I've known for a long time I am. And don't worry, I had the diagnosis when I was 6/7 years old. I'm 22 now and I pretty much know how autism me in particular, because as far as I'm aware, every person with autism is different. For me, it's getting overwhelmed crowded bus or London Underground, not being able to sleep until all lights in the house are off, hating the texture of velvet, the smell of baked beans, and getting all stuttery for talks/interviews on the phone that I'm not prepared for. etc.

So I only signed up on the website yesterday. I'm new with this and to be honest, I'm not sure what steps I should take next. See, I've finished university this year and am graduating next week. All the while I'm trying to look out for the work, so until I do get some ACTUAL work, it's more browsing on indeed.com and visits to the local job centre for me.

Aside from that, I'm not sure how to navigate the rest. You know? Friendships, relationships, lifestyle etc. I do have friends, but they are busy with work, travelling, other courses etc. Plus a couple of them HARDLY ever answer back calls or messages. Is it really that hard to reply to 'Hi so and so, you doing ok, haven't heard from you'. Plus, I hardly know ANYONE my age in my area, so yeah, some social life I lead.

I have a lot more to say, believe me. I'm just not going to put myself out there completely. There won't be a message every day, but I will update. In the meantime, I will just take it one day at a time.

Parents
  • Hello Eleanor, I'm new here too and I really don't know what to expect.  I suspect I'm quite a bit older than most around here but I don't see why that shouls make a difference. I grew up in the dark days when the condition really wasn't understood so I really went through the mill.

Hoping to meet and chat with new friends and soulmates of all ages. I don't bite, well, I used to get in all sorts of trouble by going off on one but I'm much better now!

• Hello Eleanor, I'm new here too and I really don't know what to expect.  I suspect I'm quite a bit older than most around here but I don't see why that shouls make a difference. I grew up in the dark days when the condition really wasn't understood so I really went through the mill.

Hoping to meet and chat with new friends and soulmates of all ages. I don't bite, well, I used to get in all sorts of trouble by going off on one but I'm much better now!

Children
No Data