Hi - Mum of autistic young man

Hi all just thought I would say hi and introduce myself. My name is Nicki and I’m a mum to 3 boys. My eldest son is 22 and was diagnosed with autism at the age of 14. It’s been a very hard journey but now I am facing new challenges as he enters adult life.

Would be nice to hear from other parents of young autistic adults and there struggles and welcome any advice.

Nicki 

Parents
  • Hi I'm Jan my son's autistic he's almost 21 he was diagnosed at 3yrs attended special schools he's very clever he's not severely but I would say his behaviour becoming increasingly worrying he has developed tics strange facial expressions grunts a lot constantly talking to himself he attends college and goes to a garden centre which caters for his needs but not seeing any improvement just all a complete worry he has a very good supportive family which is just myself husband and older son. 

• I would just like to say how come so many people are autistic now it seems to be in our neighbourhood community friends of friends kids have it I mean come on they say genetics environments I don't believe any of it something's causing it. During my pregnancy I was healthy didn't drink alcohol or smoke and I was only 22.

• Probably as many are autistic now as ever. Just the rate of diagnosis is increasing because if better services and higher awareness. Things that were not problematic or even advantageous in a more traditional society are now coming to the fore because the modern society is intensive in communication and interaction.

• People are certainly more aware of conditions like autism now,my son was diagnosed 17 years ago at the age of 11.

My father(who passed away in 2017) would have been 90 this year.He and his siblings were probably considered to be a little odd 'back in the day' whereas now I'm sure the majority of them would be diagnosed with some form of autism.

• People are certainly more aware of conditions like autism now,my son was diagnosed 17 years ago at the age of 11.

My father(who passed away in 2017) would have been 90 this year.He and his siblings were probably considered to be a little odd 'back in the day' whereas now I'm sure the majority of them would be diagnosed with some form of autism.

Children
No Data