Just a friend of a person with likely ASD.

Hi. I'm just a friend of a person (and his parents)  who has likely Autistic Spectrum Disorder.  I do not have ASD. The person is 19 and wants to have a career in Electronics. His parents probably ought to be in touch with the National Autistic Society but are not to my knowledge. Soon I hope to start up a business and would like to employ my friend.  I want to make another post on another forum. Please look out for it if you are interested in ASD and electronics/code learning. So, I don't expect a discussion here in this "introduce yourself" section of ASD and learning..  I'm just introducing myself. :-)

Parents
  • You say likely has ASD - how 'normal' is he?     Does he pass most of the time or are his behaviours noticeable to the casual viewer?    

I'm Asperger's - into electronics and I became a CEng whilst hiding in plain sight.   In certain industries, we fit in well because of our abilities and skills.

• Hi.  Up till now, I think his math and English grades make college think he is a bit thick. In company of friends his social skills are reasonably good, but not so good in class. He finds it a bit of a struggle to catch a bus ride. His mind does get confused when doing things that require physical co-ordination, which again makes him look incapable. He has obvious problems but also has capability, but it may be restricted to some specific area or other.  I've just talked to him an hour or so ago and he says other pupils were asking him about coding and his teacher said he was good at it. I did not know that until an hour ago. After some time where things have been a bit of a struggle, about where he is going in his career, I think something is becoming clearer- that he could do worse than trying his hand at writing source code. I think it may be where he can find a home.  I'm giving him an Arduino.

• Then he might struggle with the non-coding parts of any course - things like documentation which is expected to be of a good level.    Normally, for ASD people, if it's something they get fired up about, it will be easy for them - if they find it dull or not important, they could fail the course.

• Then he might struggle with the non-coding parts of any course - things like documentation which is expected to be of a good level.    Normally, for ASD people, if it's something they get fired up about, it will be easy for them - if they find it dull or not important, they could fail the course.

Children
No Data