Hello all - totally new to the whole thing

Two months after I turned 68 I got my ASD diagnosis. I'm now watching and reading everything I can get hold of on ASD/Asperger's in females. I've certainly lived under the radar by creating personae / wearing masks and coping with the shutdowns and meltdowns through my poetry and artwork. I'm so looking forward to learning from the Community and being able to talk about any problems and anxieties I my experience as I try to face a society that is alien and threatening to me. And perhaps along the way I can offer my two-pennyworth of experience too.

Parents Reply Children
  • Thanks Martian Tom,

Yep, it was pretty dire. At first it was brushed aside as "nerves", and by 18 I was in a mental hospital - diagnoses depression, psychosis, anxiety, borderline pd. I have been rollercoasting with anger / relief / frustration but you can't do that forever so we're getting on with living. Diagnosis has been great for my relationship with my husband - now when I feel like screaming and throwing things I can recognise it as meltdown and take myself off.

I've found some great YouTube people, and have just bought two books on Autism and females. Thanks for your recommendation. I'll look it up.

I mostly use poetry to voice how I'm feeling and Photoshop Elements to create surrealist-type images.

Thank you so much for your welcome. It does really feel special being here.

All the best,

Gema