Hello all - totally new to the whole thing

Two months after I turned 68 I got my ASD diagnosis. I'm now watching and reading everything I can get hold of on ASD/Asperger's in females. I've certainly lived under the radar by creating personae / wearing masks and coping with the shutdowns and meltdowns through my poetry and artwork. I'm so looking forward to learning from the Community and being able to talk about any problems and anxieties I my experience as I try to face a society that is alien and threatening to me. And perhaps along the way I can offer my two-pennyworth of experience too.

Parents
  • I hope diagnosis has brought you something valuable. I was diagnosed when I retired at the age of 55 and it took me a year to get used to my co-morbid disabilities and understand the affect that autism had on my health. I am now back working again, doing what I love, but able to manage because I understand that there are many things that I cannot change and am blessed to have strategies to deal with difficulties instead. Good luck.

• I hope diagnosis has brought you something valuable. I was diagnosed when I retired at the age of 55 and it took me a year to get used to my co-morbid disabilities and understand the affect that autism had on my health. I am now back working again, doing what I love, but able to manage because I understand that there are many things that I cannot change and am blessed to have strategies to deal with difficulties instead. Good luck.

Children
  • Hello, Thank you for replying. I'm coming to terms with my anger / frustration having been in and out of mental hospital since I was 18. I feel that all those years of self-harm and suicide attempts could have been lessened if I'd had the proper support and treatment. But at my age I need to crack on with enjoying life - there's a lot to catch up on.

Totally agree with your sentiments. I took early retirement from teaching twice but I'm a believer in serendipity so ...

Good luck to you too.