Confused adult

Hi, I’m a professional but have thought for a long while and had strange behaviours as a child that I got a diagnosis as 57% Aspergers. Why have I be able to maintain my professional job for 17 years???

Parents
  • I got my diagnosis at 56, having worked all of my life since leaving school at 16 (apart from 3 years at uni in my late 20s, and some time off following redundancies or for ill-health). 

I've often had struggles in the workplace, mind - mainly relating to working with others, to high-pressure environments, and to jobs with overtime or changing shift patterns.  For the majority of my working life, I've been in 9 to 5 Monday to Friday jobs - the kind of routine that I got used to in school.

I've had a lot of jobs, too.  I'm currently on my 27th contracted job.  I hope it will last me until I retire in 7 years, but it depends on how things go.  If I can make it to 2 years, I should be alright (just completed my first month!)   My average length of time in a job has been 15 months.  Longest time in a job was nearly 7 years, and I only left because of redundancy.  Shortest time was 2 weeks.  The older I've got, the more frequent have been my job changes.  In the last 5 years alone, I've had 7 jobs (including my current one).  Maybe it's a sign of my tolerances wearing down.  Maybe I'll burn out before long if things don't go smoothly at work.

I've never heard of someone being 57% Aspie.  As Binary said - you're either autistic or you're not.  Neurodiverse or neurotypical.  You can't be a bit autistic.

• I got my diagnosis at 56, having worked all of my life since leaving school at 16 (apart from 3 years at uni in my late 20s, and some time off following redundancies or for ill-health). 

I've often had struggles in the workplace, mind - mainly relating to working with others, to high-pressure environments, and to jobs with overtime or changing shift patterns.  For the majority of my working life, I've been in 9 to 5 Monday to Friday jobs - the kind of routine that I got used to in school.

I've had a lot of jobs, too.  I'm currently on my 27th contracted job.  I hope it will last me until I retire in 7 years, but it depends on how things go.  If I can make it to 2 years, I should be alright (just completed my first month!)   My average length of time in a job has been 15 months.  Longest time in a job was nearly 7 years, and I only left because of redundancy.  Shortest time was 2 weeks.  The older I've got, the more frequent have been my job changes.  In the last 5 years alone, I've had 7 jobs (including my current one).  Maybe it's a sign of my tolerances wearing down.  Maybe I'll burn out before long if things don't go smoothly at work.

I've never heard of someone being 57% Aspie.  As Binary said - you're either autistic or you're not.  Neurodiverse or neurotypical.  You can't be a bit autistic.

Children
No Data