Autistic Student - My First Post

Hey,

My name is Ellen (pseudonym). I have high functioning ASD & was diagnosed 5 years ago. The reason for joining is to relate to a community of people who have (or know someone) with autism. I’m looking for anyone who’s similar my age, 19, but all ages welcome.

I've been struggling with my anxiety quite recently due to low self esteem. I'm a part time student in English and Art. I dropped out of A Levels at college two years ago due to severe anxiety and depression. I was able to go back into education through home tuition so I could study Literature GCSE.

The last month, I've been starting preparations for my literature exams. But 7 days ago, I received some bad news. My teacher felt it wasn't best for me not to take the exams this May. The reasons were I was struggling with exam anxiety and it takes me longer to process information, resulting in burnouts. The plan is now she wants me to do another year.

I came out disappointed by the news and felt so angry I couldn't understand why my mind can't work with my body. This has resulted me into feeling depressed and having episodes of existential depression. Other problems contributing to feeling down are that I've been struggling with breakdowns & drama's in friendships and a lot is changing in my life.

I don't want to write this post out with the intention of triggers or to make anyone down. This is honestly how I'm feeling & I want to find a way forward.

I am getting support from a charity, I self help (exercise, yoga) and my family have been amazing. It's just I still feel alone and don't meet many people like myself. The majority are low functioning and I'm an independent young person with ambitions. 

It would be lovely to find anyone else who have or are struggling similarly & any advice would be amazing.

Thanks x

Parents Reply Children
No Data