help with ASD assessment form

Hi there

I have just joined this forum, I am currently waiting for an ASD assessment for my son. I have been sent a "parent pack" to fill out but I am a bit stuck on one part and I need to know I am doing this right

It says

social interaction

(how he/she relates and shows emotion)

it is a chart of questions with a tick box selection

for example

1. MAKES EYE CONTACT WHEN SPEAKING OR LISTENING TO ANOTHER PERSON

I then have to select from the following

-does not apply

-somewhat applles

-neutral

-applied to some extent

-definitely applies

Now this is where im confused, If i want to say that he definitely "does not make eye contact" do i select "does not apply" or "definitely applies"

I know this might seem silly that I dont understand which box to tick it just seems a bit confusing and I dont want to mess it up

I hope somebody can help me

Parents
  • This is typical of Government forms like PiP and ESA Forms, if you use the Normal Forms of speech you can give a misleading answer if you are not careful..

1, Copy the form as sent to you on to a computer file if possible. This may sound old hat but, first you should make at least two printed copies of everything,  Printing off is then just extra paper.

You need  A working copy, A final copy to be transcribed copied from the working copy when completed and checking very carefully, and when you are satisfied, the Form itself, copied from your final copy, 

This submitted form must then be copied in its entirety, because it is your only record of what you sent in. You may need this copy as sent in,  if for some reason you make an appeal to a decision.

You will need this record on which the decision is made to see where you went "wrong", You most probably will change what you intend sometimes more than once, if a meaning is unclear, and if you have kept all your working copies, you may be able to show when you appeal, you made an error misunderstanding their complicated form.

You have to read the Question very Carefully, including the instructions. and punctuation, not always easy for a handicapped person, or for a social worker doing so on behalf of the person involved by ticking boxes in perhaps 10 minutes in a second language, that screws them up, and need appealing against if they can get help.

eg abc,def, hij, klm. whereas you or I may put what we think. They have a set response to "question"  and "abc" answer same for Q, "def" etc.

If you believe the question really means something not clear Write it down on the form. 

"Does your son Make eye contact " etc You have already assumed a singular "Make" in you interpretation to make sense of it, whereas they have the Plural "makes" which make's no sense unless you assume what could, or may be a different question, opposite to your interpretation. 

So you will need to point out in writing on your form where you have assumed what the question means to you if it not clear.(Does your son Make eye contact etc?

Then "Does not apply" to me means:- as it does to most people. 

"No! He does not make Eye Contact.when speaking or listening to another person. This answer without qualification is a catch question The suggested response  "does not apply" answer presumes without qualification.

.  Your son is able to communicate verbally whereas he may not be able to do this being autistic. Further it assumes that he can hear and be able to communicate by listening to instructions. another autistic deficit, not withstanding that he may be a deaf child looking at a mouth. 

Lets go to the other end of the scale.  Your assumed question "Does your son Makes eye contact etc."

The response: "definitely applies"  

Means to me and Thousands of others Yes! Your son Make's eye contact etc.   This is obviously wrong if he "does not make eye contact etc as above.

(You Have a Copy). You may get it wrong being human, So if you later on reflecting on the final copied answers as sent and you see something you don't like or, it make's no logical sense, write in and try to correct your answer. You should have all your working records to help you. 

You will need a box file. You can often refer to your answers as sent next time they send the same form or similar to you to fill in Same for ESA and PIP.

• This is typical of Government forms like PiP and ESA Forms, if you use the Normal Forms of speech you can give a misleading answer if you are not careful..

1, Copy the form as sent to you on to a computer file if possible. This may sound old hat but, first you should make at least two printed copies of everything,  Printing off is then just extra paper.

You need  A working copy, A final copy to be transcribed copied from the working copy when completed and checking very carefully, and when you are satisfied, the Form itself, copied from your final copy, 

This submitted form must then be copied in its entirety, because it is your only record of what you sent in. You may need this copy as sent in,  if for some reason you make an appeal to a decision.

You will need this record on which the decision is made to see where you went "wrong", You most probably will change what you intend sometimes more than once, if a meaning is unclear, and if you have kept all your working copies, you may be able to show when you appeal, you made an error misunderstanding their complicated form.

You have to read the Question very Carefully, including the instructions. and punctuation, not always easy for a handicapped person, or for a social worker doing so on behalf of the person involved by ticking boxes in perhaps 10 minutes in a second language, that screws them up, and need appealing against if they can get help.

eg abc,def, hij, klm. whereas you or I may put what we think. They have a set response to "question"  and "abc" answer same for Q, "def" etc.

If you believe the question really means something not clear Write it down on the form. 

"Does your son Make eye contact " etc You have already assumed a singular "Make" in you interpretation to make sense of it, whereas they have the Plural "makes" which make's no sense unless you assume what could, or may be a different question, opposite to your interpretation. 

So you will need to point out in writing on your form where you have assumed what the question means to you if it not clear.(Does your son Make eye contact etc?

Then "Does not apply" to me means:- as it does to most people. 

"No! He does not make Eye Contact.when speaking or listening to another person. This answer without qualification is a catch question The suggested response  "does not apply" answer presumes without qualification.

.  Your son is able to communicate verbally whereas he may not be able to do this being autistic. Further it assumes that he can hear and be able to communicate by listening to instructions. another autistic deficit, not withstanding that he may be a deaf child looking at a mouth. 

Lets go to the other end of the scale.  Your assumed question "Does your son Makes eye contact etc."

The response: "definitely applies"  

Means to me and Thousands of others Yes! Your son Make's eye contact etc.   This is obviously wrong if he "does not make eye contact etc as above.

(You Have a Copy). You may get it wrong being human, So if you later on reflecting on the final copied answers as sent and you see something you don't like or, it make's no logical sense, write in and try to correct your answer. You should have all your working records to help you. 

You will need a box file. You can often refer to your answers as sent next time they send the same form or similar to you to fill in Same for ESA and PIP.

Children
  • You are over complicating things, certainly keep a copy that is common sense but if this is the questionnaire that I think it is, it is carbon paper one ie auto score. It is not one that you can add comments to. By all means suggest a supporting letter but it is literally a tick box score sheet.