Hello, from a mum of a 9 yr old girl with Aspergers

My daughter is 9 at the end of March (born 2010).  We have recently started the process of getting a diagnosis, in the hope that this will be in good time for secondary school.  I am particularly interested in the developments in thinking re: girls with Aspergers as they seem so different from the boys and even from each other - "if you've met one girl with autism, you've met one girl with autism".  I look forward to being part of this community.

Parents
  • Hi Ros E & NAS39248,

I have a daughter with autism, she was diagnosed at 8, a couple of years after her brother was diagnosed. Back then, I'd really asked for the assessment to put my mind at rest and rule out any learned behaviour from her brother and she was diagnosed as well. My daughter is now almost 21.

I can absolutely recommend this amazing course, which is free at the moment: 

https://www.autism.org.uk/professionals/training-consultancy/online/women-and-girls.aspx

This course has been way better than many of the books I have read about girls on the spectrum.

BWs to you both.

• Hi 

Thanks for posting the link, that was the course I was referring to I found it really informative when I completed it and the fact it's free at the moment is great!

• Yes, it's great - sorry for double posting that. I am a scatter brain at the moment and only half read your response.

We've come through a lot. Son overshares and never stops talking...daughter prefers (like dh) to share only what is absolutely necessary <500 words a day; a quick google suggests most women like to talk a lot more than that!

Lol - just wrote a longer response about some of our journey but have decided not to post because I realised I am oversharing Blush

• Thank you so much to both of you.  I will definitely watch the course and look forward to talking with you both.  Vidila, I would love to hear anything you would like to overshare Relaxed

Reply Children
No Data