Hello, here to help my autistic partner

Hi, I joined this community so I can help myself and my partner understand this diagnosis and use this understanding to keep our relationship strong and be good parents.  He is 23 and was just diagnosed this week.

We’ve been together 2 years and living together the same amount of time.  I’ve always suspected it but I was waiting for a professional to notice.  He has a hard time with social cues and understanding conversations, and doesn’t really understand boundaries either.  He has angry episodes and doesn’t understand financial responsibility, and sometimes doesn’t seem to get parental responsibility either.

On top of that, he has ADHD and was also diagnosed with PTSD this past week.  I really just want to know what I can do to help him best and help him understand his responsibility within our family.  This diagnosis doesn’t change that I want to be with him, if anything I’m glad because we finally understand his behavior.  But we’ve struggled due to his mental health, and we have children that need us.  So I’m hoping when I need help or answers I can come here and get advice.  

Parents
  • Hi and welcome to the community.Slight smile

I'm married with 2 children, one of whom has ASD, and I might have Asperger's syndrome (awaiting diagnosis). I've found a lot of help and support here myself, and I hope that you will too.

I can recommend a book you might find useful "Marriage and lasting relationships with Asperger's syndrome", by Eva A. Mendez. I'm sorry I don't know any about ADHD or PTSD, but there may well be someone here who does.

Best wishes,

• Hi and welcome to the community.Slight smile

I'm married with 2 children, one of whom has ASD, and I might have Asperger's syndrome (awaiting diagnosis). I've found a lot of help and support here myself, and I hope that you will too.

I can recommend a book you might find useful "Marriage and lasting relationships with Asperger's syndrome", by Eva A. Mendez. I'm sorry I don't know any about ADHD or PTSD, but there may well be someone here who does.

Best wishes,

Children
No Data