Unhappy with misdiagnosis

Hello everyone, this is my 1st time of joining a forum- I will 1st apologise for my ramblings

I recently been assessed for ASD at the age of 52 and was told I did not meet the threshold under the ADOS which is meant to be the gold standard for testing autism. The assessment was 2 fold I met a psychologist who conducted the ADOS, I was given a book about flying pigs, told to make up a story, and has discussion about tidiness( I am really messy). I felt this assessment was not suited because I used to write drama in college and for my church thus this was an area of strength for me. I do have a son who has Aspergers and I have the same difficulties he has- I only have 1 friend since childhood- i love people but don't know how to interact with them and am completely clueless in social settings. People say I lack empathy but if I understand the situation I actually feel things more than the victim. I cant watch violent programs or any act of injustice as I feel like jumping out of my skin. I don't know my left from my right and cant read maps, I dry up in conversations and can't deal with anything that isn't planed and can't cope with the unknown. Eventually when i met the psychiatrist he said I possibly would have Aspergers but as i didn't have anyone to give my childhood information( I am an immigrant and my aged mother who i believe is autistic is deaf and lives abroad so no joy) he would diagnose me as atypical autistic. I am not impressed with the assessment and feel I was given a label to keep me quiet.

Hope i can get some advice. 

Parents Reply Children
No Data