My therapist has suggested I am high functioning autistic.

Hi Everyone,

I've been seeing a private therapist since November for my Social anxiety and depression. I've been on Citalopram (an anti depressant ) for the last 7 years. Yesterday she told me that based on many of the things I've said I sound as though I may be in the autistic spectrum, though it's not an official diagnosis, however I believe her to be right, I've actually been wondering when/if she would mention the elephant in the room!

She said it was up to me if I wanted to get a diagnosis, but didn't seem to see much benefit. It is a rather strange feeling, I'm both in shock, and not shocked in the slightest by this "diagnosis". I just wondered what members here think, is it worth me pursuing a diagnosis? I'm self employed so it doesn't affect my job, though my social anxiety is a real challenge, but it always has been!

I'm very grateful for any help, thanks so much, Mark.

Parents
  • Hi, I'm self employed and have 2 very young children. The biggest thing for me is the fear that I don't know what love is and I'm worried about that impact on my children.

In terms of work, I'm assessing my expectations of both myself and those around me I employ. I'm considering how I can set up being more efficiently and not being 'interupted' in order to limit the amount of procrastination time (or whatever it actually is) in getting started.

I've had my preliminary chat with a psychiatrist on the NHS and am being referred to the Head Honcho now which might take some time. But I am comfortable that I know where I stand and don't believe the ticked box from this point will have a bigger impact than has already been by being told by the psychiatrist that this is 'Fishing in the Right Pond'

I wouldn't have been confident to embark on making such enormous change without the opinion of a professional. I also wouldn't have had the confidence to tackle the most scary of issues if I thought it was just a likely possibility rather than a definitive diagnosis - I'd have hidden away from the tough stuff

The diagnosis has also meant I have allowed myself the time to start my research and sign up to National Autistic Society as a member and interact with these boards. Already I have taken on board so much information which I can associate with and frankly it's just lovely reading posts from people who quite clearly think exactly like I do! 

• Hi, I'm self employed and have 2 very young children. The biggest thing for me is the fear that I don't know what love is and I'm worried about that impact on my children.

In terms of work, I'm assessing my expectations of both myself and those around me I employ. I'm considering how I can set up being more efficiently and not being 'interupted' in order to limit the amount of procrastination time (or whatever it actually is) in getting started.

I've had my preliminary chat with a psychiatrist on the NHS and am being referred to the Head Honcho now which might take some time. But I am comfortable that I know where I stand and don't believe the ticked box from this point will have a bigger impact than has already been by being told by the psychiatrist that this is 'Fishing in the Right Pond'

I wouldn't have been confident to embark on making such enormous change without the opinion of a professional. I also wouldn't have had the confidence to tackle the most scary of issues if I thought it was just a likely possibility rather than a definitive diagnosis - I'd have hidden away from the tough stuff

The diagnosis has also meant I have allowed myself the time to start my research and sign up to National Autistic Society as a member and interact with these boards. Already I have taken on board so much information which I can associate with and frankly it's just lovely reading posts from people who quite clearly think exactly like I do! 

Children
No Data