My therapist has suggested I am high functioning autistic.

Hi Everyone,

I've been seeing a private therapist since November for my Social anxiety and depression. I've been on Citalopram (an anti depressant ) for the last 7 years. Yesterday she told me that based on many of the things I've said I sound as though I may be in the autistic spectrum, though it's not an official diagnosis, however I believe her to be right, I've actually been wondering when/if she would mention the elephant in the room!

She said it was up to me if I wanted to get a diagnosis, but didn't seem to see much benefit. It is a rather strange feeling, I'm both in shock, and not shocked in the slightest by this "diagnosis". I just wondered what members here think, is it worth me pursuing a diagnosis? I'm self employed so it doesn't affect my job, though my social anxiety is a real challenge, but it always has been!

I'm very grateful for any help, thanks so much, Mark.

Parents
  • I needed that final official confirmation to actually be able to feel comfortable with my autism. I went privately, the process was a couple of questionnaires in the post to complete and send back, then a 3hr face to face consultation with a psychiatrist who gave me the diagnosis there and then. Total cost £550. I have been officially diagnosed for 2 months!

It has made a huge difference just to being able to be kinder to myself. I am not working at the moment but I want to. I'm 35, have 3 kids and am married so I feel I need to be contributing more to the family. I now feel able to go and ask for what I need to get on with more of life.

• I needed that final official confirmation to actually be able to feel comfortable with my autism. I went privately, the process was a couple of questionnaires in the post to complete and send back, then a 3hr face to face consultation with a psychiatrist who gave me the diagnosis there and then. Total cost £550. I have been officially diagnosed for 2 months!

It has made a huge difference just to being able to be kinder to myself. I am not working at the moment but I want to. I'm 35, have 3 kids and am married so I feel I need to be contributing more to the family. I now feel able to go and ask for what I need to get on with more of life.

Children