My therapist has suggested I am high functioning autistic.

Hi Everyone,

I've been seeing a private therapist since November for my Social anxiety and depression. I've been on Citalopram (an anti depressant ) for the last 7 years. Yesterday she told me that based on many of the things I've said I sound as though I may be in the autistic spectrum, though it's not an official diagnosis, however I believe her to be right, I've actually been wondering when/if she would mention the elephant in the room!

She said it was up to me if I wanted to get a diagnosis, but didn't seem to see much benefit. It is a rather strange feeling, I'm both in shock, and not shocked in the slightest by this "diagnosis". I just wondered what members here think, is it worth me pursuing a diagnosis? I'm self employed so it doesn't affect my job, though my social anxiety is a real challenge, but it always has been!

I'm very grateful for any help, thanks so much, Mark.

Parents
  • Hi Mark,

Funnily enough, it was a private therapist I was seeing who first suggested it to me, too - though I'd had a few suspicions.  I decided to get a diagnosis because I wanted the validation that I thought it would bring to me.  My therapist wrote to my GP, who made a referral - and two years later, following assessments, I finally got the diagnosis.  I was 56 at the time.

It was a 'Eureka!' moment for me.  It enabled me to make sense of my life at last.  Also, it enabled me to 'be myself'.  Finally, it's been useful for me in the workplace.  I can let employers know, and ask for any reasonable adjustments I need.

It's very much an individual thing.  Many people self-diagnose and are happy enough with that.  My niece's husband is definitely an Aspie and knows, but hasn't bothered with a diagnosis because it doesn't really seem to have any impact on his life.  As he says 'People take me as I am, or they don't.'  Fair enough.  For me, though... I'm glad I did it.

• Hi Mark,

Funnily enough, it was a private therapist I was seeing who first suggested it to me, too - though I'd had a few suspicions.  I decided to get a diagnosis because I wanted the validation that I thought it would bring to me.  My therapist wrote to my GP, who made a referral - and two years later, following assessments, I finally got the diagnosis.  I was 56 at the time.

It was a 'Eureka!' moment for me.  It enabled me to make sense of my life at last.  Also, it enabled me to 'be myself'.  Finally, it's been useful for me in the workplace.  I can let employers know, and ask for any reasonable adjustments I need.

It's very much an individual thing.  Many people self-diagnose and are happy enough with that.  My niece's husband is definitely an Aspie and knows, but hasn't bothered with a diagnosis because it doesn't really seem to have any impact on his life.  As he says 'People take me as I am, or they don't.'  Fair enough.  For me, though... I'm glad I did it.

Children
No Data