Hello everyone

My daughter (15 years old) has recently been diagnosed with Aspergers. I have been directed to this website as a source of information and I would really appreciate any advice anyone could offer. My child is also self-harming, has an eating disorder and rarely sleeps at night. She has been bullied at school and is now a loner who obsesses over her studies and has quite spectacular meltdowns at home. We are attending sessions at CAMHS for the eating disorder. The school is aware of this and also know that my daughter is not eating or drinking for the entire school day (in the year of GCSEs) but I feel I am up against a wall of silence. There are no responses to my emails or telephone calls following the diagnosis. Eventually the CAMHS counsellor called and was assured the school would do whatever it could to protect my child - but nothing is being done apart from my child then being taken out of a lesson and asked if everything was okay. What should I do?

Parents
  • Hi, 

Welcome to the forum, you mentioned that your daughter has had formal diagnosis, have you applied for an ehcp? If you check the education rights pages on the site you will find loads of information about it also has education psychologist assessed what school should be doing to support her?

As well as the education pages on here there is plenty of info and advice for dealing with meltdowns I believe there is also advice for eating disorders, just a quick one is she eating and drinking at home? You mentioned she wasn't at school and I just wondered if it was anything to do with social or sensory problems like not wanting to talk with people at lunch or the lunch Hall being to crowded or noisey possibly even smell triggering a problem? 

Anyway sorry I'm not more helpful I'm sure some other members will have more advice 

Good luck 

• Hi, 

I didn't even know about an ehcp until I read your post. Thank you very much for this!

My daughter's meltdowns at home are due in part to the fact that she is so hungry by the time she comes home. She has taken to eating out of the bin when she is on her own in the kitchen. I think there are some sensory problems for not wanting to eat at school. It's also because she wants to avoid the people who used to bully her (school has done nothing about this, either).

I really appreciate your response, as I feel so helpless watching all this happen.

• No worries, like I this site is packed with information and the people on this forum are really helpful, the insight they have given me into the way my daughter is processing things has been so helpful, 

Welcome again! 

• No worries, like I this site is packed with information and the people on this forum are really helpful, the insight they have given me into the way my daughter is processing things has been so helpful, 

Welcome again! 

Children
No Data