NEWBIE with 2 Girls with ASD

Hi,

I am a Mum of 2 girls, aged 11 and 9, who both display ASD characteristics. My eldest is currently under CAMHS and I am just in the process of getting my youngest referred. I am feeling lost and alone and am hoping that you lovely people can help me with this. My eldest girl is a master at masking and it is really only at home we see the full issues she is facing. Last night she revealed she had thought about suicide - this has really thrown me. She is 11 and has a lovely home and school life - I know it is not something she would seriously do, but to know that she has even had thoughts about it has really upset me. My youngest is also displaying huge indicators of also having ASD and believes she is worthless and that she doesn't know who she is and that she is sad all the time. My husband suffers depression and is struggling with the concept that they both are struggling. My Dad had Aspergers and I know this runs in families.

I guess I am not looking for answers, but just to know I am not alone in my struggles. I am doing a lot of reading and trying to change how I support them, but I feel a little lost at times. I would love to make contact with some other parents of girls with Autism, especially those going through puberty.

Thanks

• Hi ,

I’m sorry you are going through such a tough time, it’s good that you’ve let us know what’s happening/how you feel. Many people have similar thoughts when coping with so much and we hope you’re okay.

You may like to contact our Parent to Parent service who offers emotional support to parents and carers of children or adults with autism. This service is confidential and run by trained parent volunteers who are all parents themselves of a child or adult with autism .

You contact the team on 0808 800 4106. Please leave a message and the team will call you back as soon as possible at a time that suits you, including evenings and weekends. Alternatively you can use contact the team via web form: http://www.autism.org.uk/services/community/family-support/parent-to-parent/enquiry.aspx

Best wishes,

Chloe Mod

• Thank you. I have already taken the online course and I work in a school and have had lots of training on SEND, so luckily am more educated than most starting out on this journey. It is just quite isolating and scary as a parent sometimes. Thank you for reaching out - it is appreciated x

• Hi, 

Welcome to the forum, there are loads of people here who will be able to give you advice and insight. The website is also full of great advice and I would highly recommended taking the autism women and girls course available here it is really good as alot of professionals don't know alot about masking there is also a section covering puberty so that might be helpful to you, the course is free at the moment so take advantage of it! 

My daughter is 8 and not formally diagnosed (don't get me started she has been passed around since age 4) she also masks well at school and melts down at home. 

I just wanted to let you know that your not alone x