First steps

Hello,

I was diagnosed with level 2 autism and sensory processing disorder 2 weeks ago. I guess I still haven’t got my head around it. I know it doesn’t change who I am but to officially have a diagnosis I guess is quite overwhelming. I’m still trying to understand who needs to know and do I want everyone to know or just certain people. I’m trying my best to organise the pros and cons of doing so. I don’t know if telling people will help me to accept it - to get my head around it. So this is the reason for this post, I assume it’s a safe place on here with people who understand so I can’t think of better people to be able to tell. I don’t know who I am really so I guess this is my first step in trying since my diagnosis.

Parents
  • Welcome. You don’t need to tell anyone until you’re ready. Getting a diagnosis can be a lot to get your head around. I was diagnosed with AS in December last year and have found chatting with others on this forum very helpful in coming to terms with my diagnosis. Have you had your assessment report yet as I personally found that a difficult read?

• Thank you. I’ve had my assessment report, it was uncomfortable to read but things were true. How will I know when I’m ready? I don’t have much understanding on people/relationships and emotions. 

• I guess when you feel comfortable to tell people. I've told some people, mainly close family and friends, I haven't told other people, I'm not fully 'out' yet. Ultimately, it's about what you feel comfortable doing. If you don't feel comfortable to tell someone, then don't. I'm not great with people/relationships/emotions either but my default setting is that if I tell people that I have AS then it may make them think negatively of me (it might not, this is just what I think) so therefore I don't tell some people. It's a very individual thing.

• I guess when you feel comfortable to tell people. I've told some people, mainly close family and friends, I haven't told other people, I'm not fully 'out' yet. Ultimately, it's about what you feel comfortable doing. If you don't feel comfortable to tell someone, then don't. I'm not great with people/relationships/emotions either but my default setting is that if I tell people that I have AS then it may make them think negatively of me (it might not, this is just what I think) so therefore I don't tell some people. It's a very individual thing.

Children