Hello to everyone ... from Italy

I'm 55 years old and I live in a little town near Naples in Italy with my family: my wife and my twins (21). My son is autistic (diagnosed since 3 years old). All my time (except job!) is dedicated to improve and support my son in his artistic activities and self advocacy actions (he's an hiking love, real Environment "hero" and defender of Nature and endagered species (particularly WOLVES : see on web videos searching "Simone Notari mostra lupi" that's mean "Exposition Wolves". I'm really interested in all news about social programs, activities and personal experiences especially life projects and training to improve daily life of autistic people especially adults. I collaborate with public and private local insitutions to improve the awareness of autism in the society.

I really hope to get to know other experiences and establish a good sharing ... although I'm in another country!!

Gianfranco

Parents
  • Hi Gianfranco. Thank you for posting here. Is there much awareness of Autism in Italy? I am completely ignorant of the situation there.

• Hi, thanks a lot for your post and your question.  

About the awareness of Autism in Italy I feel like answering "yes" ... with some necessary clarification.
    Regarding the laws of the State and the Ministerial and local rules I can say that much has been done for people with autism especially in the last 5-10 years.
    There is certainly to be empower the specific training on the Autism of teachers and staff working in the School (since the Seventies in Italy there has been the end of special schools and full scholastic integration. This has created the "ideological" premises of an inclusive culture but for the effective full realization of scholastic inclusion ... there is still a lot to be improved).
    The huge problem is above all for the adults: who conclude the school cycle with the age of majority. But here parents' associations and family alliances make up a lot. In short: excellent laws, good awareness in institutions, growing autism-friendly culture among the people, but a lot of pessimism and distrust between those parents and family who are less active and get overwhelmed by mistrust and resignation. But surely around Autism ... speaks a lot about it.
  • Hi, thanks a lot for your post and your question.  

About the awareness of Autism in Italy I feel like answering "yes" ... with some necessary clarification.
    Regarding the laws of the State and the Ministerial and local rules I can say that much has been done for people with autism especially in the last 5-10 years.
    There is certainly to be empower the specific training on the Autism of teachers and staff working in the School (since the Seventies in Italy there has been the end of special schools and full scholastic integration. This has created the "ideological" premises of an inclusive culture but for the effective full realization of scholastic inclusion ... there is still a lot to be improved).
    The huge problem is above all for the adults: who conclude the school cycle with the age of majority. But here parents' associations and family alliances make up a lot. In short: excellent laws, good awareness in institutions, growing autism-friendly culture among the people, but a lot of pessimism and distrust between those parents and family who are less active and get overwhelmed by mistrust and resignation. But surely around Autism ... speaks a lot about it.
Children
No Data