How can I learn and contribute?

Greeting Everyone.

I have an adult daughter. who after a long and traumatic few years is now receiving residential care for mental health, somewhere that necessarily understands autism. I'd like to understand more about autism, and the best way may be to 'give as I get' i.e., volunteer to help for a few hours a week (I work full time) somewhere where I can learn 'on the job' as it were.

Ideas about the nature of volunteering help that would best fit those needs would be welcome. My daughter does not readily share her thoughts or experiences, nor allow her care staff to do so. So unfortunately I can't offer input regards specifically what I need to learn.

Thoughts very welcome. I'm in the Berkshire area.

Thank you in anticipation, for any advice you might offer.

• That’s a beautiful idea, and you never know, it might lead to a future career of some kind, relating to it :) 

Maybe speaking to NAS on their helpline might be a starting point? Have you thought about what age group you would like to work with? Whether one to one or group work? 

I guess there are many ways, and maybe a starting point could be getting clear or clearer, around who you would like to work with and in what capacity. 

I sincerely hope you’re daughters getting the care she needs and that you’re going to give yourself some time to process her move into residential care etc. and the impact that has on you. 

I hope you find a lovely place to offer your services and get to find out more about autism. Of course we’re all different, but learning to communicate with others, might open you up to more ways of communicating with your daughter. She is talking to you, and with a sincere desire, which you have, the right opportunities will open up for you and encourage a greater understanding between you and your daughter. 

Don’t forget the number one rule though. Which is to always be kind to yourself. All we can ever do is our best, at any given time, and sometimes, for me, my best is atrocious, lol! Best wishes X

Also, check with your local council and social services, as well as carers groups, as they often have free courses on understanding autism, and they usually have free massages as well ;) and you’ll get to meet other parents and carers and you’ll get to learn loads that way. And they usually keep up to date with the latest research etc and you might make some lovely friends and you’ll ALWAYS get a lovely cuppa and a biscuit or two :) 

• Maybe contact your local citizens advice bureau, they usually have a long list of any local voluntary work available or may be able to offer you advice about how to find what you are looking for. Good luck