Newly diagnosed with ASD Aspergers profile this morning

Hi,

this is my first post on here. I Had the ADOS and psychiatric assessment this morning and was told that I have ASD/Aspergers, which I have suspected for a while.

part of me is frustrated that I wasn’t diagnosed as a child (I’m 37 now) and that I missed all the early intervention stuff.

part of me is relieved as it explains so much of how my life has been and the difficulties I have had. I guess now I know for definite what the issue is I can try to manage symptoms. I’ve been working through a social skills book the last few months which has helped so much. I really wish that I’d had that book 30 years ago, a step by step guide to social interaction, it would’ve saved me a lot of rejection.

mainly I’m feeling numb and not sure how I should feel.

Anyone else freshly diagnosed or awaiting diagnosis out there?

Parents
  • Hi Kitsun

It is interesting reading how others recently diagnosed are feeling , I was diagnosed a week ago today.

Once it was suggested that I may be autistic it took a while for me to accept it was maybe true but I didn’t want to convince myself one way or another before I knew for sure, maybe that was wrong as I don’t think I have taken the diagnosis very well.

When i went last week to get the outcome I was really nervous and didn’t take anything in and didn’t really feel anything. I’m now a week in and feel a bit nothingish ( I no that’s not a word but I can’t find one that describes what I feel) I have not spoken to anybody and have isolated myself, hopefully this will change. 

I hope ur diagnosis has helped and helps moving forward 

• Hi Kitsun

It is interesting reading how others recently diagnosed are feeling , I was diagnosed a week ago today.

Once it was suggested that I may be autistic it took a while for me to accept it was maybe true but I didn’t want to convince myself one way or another before I knew for sure, maybe that was wrong as I don’t think I have taken the diagnosis very well.

When i went last week to get the outcome I was really nervous and didn’t take anything in and didn’t really feel anything. I’m now a week in and feel a bit nothingish ( I no that’s not a word but I can’t find one that describes what I feel) I have not spoken to anybody and have isolated myself, hopefully this will change. 

I hope ur diagnosis has helped and helps moving forward 

Children
  • Hi xiv, you say that you haven't taken your diagnosis very well. How has it affected you? What is it making you think/feel? 

I'm sorry to hear that you haven't been able to speak to anyone and have isolated yourself. It is however really positive that you are talking to people on here. I hope you continue to do that. We can all support each other :-)