Hello

Hi Everyone, 

I'm not entirely sure why it's taken me so long to get round to posting in here. 

I'm Dan, I'm 43 and I was diagnosed 2 years ago after a big episode of severe depression. I regard finding out I was Autistic as probably the most liberating thing to have happened to me. I made a conscious decision to stop masking and just be me. Since then my life with my family, wife, children, work and colleagues has got so my better.

I still have my bad days,but nowhere near what they used to be like simply because I've stopped trying to be something I wasn't meant to be.

• I was lucky in some respects because I was already having therapy with the suggestion came up, she did the preliminary screening. When I went back to my GP a lot  of the work had already been done. Brighton neuro-behavioural unit decided there was no point in going through it again and sent me straight to the final assessment. 

The funny thing is by the time I got to that I was more worried about being told I wasn't autistic than being told I was.

Masking is exhausting and a waste of energy in my view. If people cant accept me for who I am it's their problem not mine. 

• Hi Badgers - and welcome!

You felt the same sense of liberation that I did, then.  People often talk about 'behaving more autistically' after diagnosis.  I think that a lot of that is simply about being more our true selves than being what the rest of the world wants and expects.

Good for you.

• Still on the waiting list myself but I agree with what you say about stopping masking and being yourself, I think I spent too long doing that, now I've found my life is a little easier because I don't 'pretend'