Pursuing a diagnosis

Hi,

I'm 27, and on Monday I have an appointment with my GP to look into an autism diagnosis. I've had anxiety and depression for most of my life and display a lot of traits that could be 

I would love to be able to approach my friends and family and tell them about this process and all the things I'm learning about how I can care for myself, but they don't seem interested and only want to tell me I'm not autistic. Whether I am or not doesn't matter that much to me, I just wish someone would learn how to help me when I have a meltdown or sensory overload.

I'm pretty sure my parents won't want to know anything, when I was little my parents said I should be seen for an autism diagnosis and they refused insisting there was "nothing wrong" with me, so they probably won't want to know.

I'm pretty much resolved now to the fact that I'll never be able to have a relationship as I don't seem to be able to form very close connections with people, which has been hard to come to terms with.

Any advise on bringing up conversations about autism to skeptical family and friends would be much appreciated

P

• Hello,

I'm in a similar dilemma at the moment. I'm not diagnosed, but I've convinced myself that I definitely sit somewhere on the spectrum. Everything I've been reading about Autism and the posts on here I can relate to so much. I'm about to do one of those online tests. I understand that doesn't make it conclusive, but depending on the result, I think I might take it further.

I'm quite overwhelmed by the whole process at the moment.

• Welcome. Every word you say is echoed by a lot of people here. I'm reasonably new myself but have found a lot of commonality with others here in the way they describe things, thoughts, feelings and experiencse just as you have.

• Welcome. Every word you say is echoed by a lot of people here. I'm reasonably new myself but have found a lot of commonality with others here in the way they describe things, thoughts, feelings and experiencse just as you have.